Baby Chick in pain when pooping

hautehenshatchery79

In the Brooder
Mar 14, 2022
I have a little chick who when she poops she screams loud. She eventually gets it out and I checked her and she doesn't have pasty butt. I feel awful because I know she is hurting.

Try some probiotics to aid digestion. Just feed chick starter and add chick grit.
Plain yogurt or kefir will supply some good gut bacteria in a pinch, but I really like Gro2Max, a blend of beneficial bacteria and yeasts formulated specifically for chickens. I put it in my chicks first water.

Last edited:
Try some probiotics to aid digestion. Just feed chick starter and add chick grit.
Plain yogurt or kefir will supply some good gut bacteria in a pinch, but I really like Gro2Max, a blend of beneficial bacteria and yeasts formulated specifically for chickens. I put it in my chicks first water.
I saw some place someone mention putting oil on the tush area around the vent to help. Also, when you give above any idea of time before I notice a difference and try something else?

The microbiome should regulate fairly quickly.
I used to get mail order chicks and there would always be a few with pasted vents that you had to keep an eye on since it can kill them. I never had it broody raised chicks. That's because they get friendly bacteria from a healthy mother's feces.
Since I've been incubating most of the year every year and using Gro2Max with each brood, I have never experienced pasted vent again.

Back
Top Bottom