Baby chick not eating

Rhafers87

In the Brooder
Mar 3, 2024
Good morning,

We picked up our 4 baby chicks from TSC yesterday morning. When we got home we noticed one of the chick’s eyes were closed. This is an obvious infection. We have been doctoring the eye with Terramycin. In just a short amount of time, one eye is open and the other is opening. I am continuing to clean the eyes and apply the ointment. The chick is not eating however she is drinking. I have been able to feed her a very very small amount of egg yolk with honey. It seems that because her vision is not 100%, she is having trouble finding/pecking the food even when I take her to the food bowl. How do I make sure that I am feeding her enough yolk to sustain her while her eyes heal? She is also sleeping quite a bit and not as energetic as her sisters, but she seems strong when I’m holding her. Is there anything else you would be doing?

Side note: she is quarantined until her infection heals

Add electrolytes into her water.
Maybe feeding mash would help
Just some feed with water.

If she is having a hard time seeing then finding food may be difficult so feeding her every few hours would help

Good morning,

We picked up our 4 baby chicks from TSC yesterday morning. When we got home we noticed one of the chick’s eyes were closed. This is an obvious infection. We have been doctoring the eye with Terramycin. In just a short amount of time, one eye is open and the other is opening. I am continuing to clean the eyes and apply the ointment. The chick is not eating however she is drinking. I have been able to feed her a very very small amount of egg yolk with honey. It seems that because her vision is not 100%, she is having trouble finding/pecking the food even when I take her to the food bowl. How do I make sure that I am feeding her enough yolk to sustain her while her eyes heal? She is also sleeping quite a bit and not as energetic as her sisters, but she seems strong when I’m holding her. Is there anything else you would be doing?

Good Morning!

I’m sorry to hear about this little setback for you. It sounds like you are treating how you should for the eye.

Try tapping the ground where the crumble is. They will hear you and hopefully peck at the feed. I’m not sure how long you can hand feed yolk 😉

I hope your little chickie perks up and is running around soon!

The eyes may be closed because the chicks digestion is not working well. Sometimes chicks will eat the wood chips in the feed stores, and then cannot poop. they will stand with their eyes closed and not want to eat. I don't give my chicks wood chips they get second hand cloth place mats for flooring.
be.PNG

When the mats are soiled they get rolled up and tossed. They are also enjoying beds I made in this pic.

Good morning,

Thank you to everyone who has offered their chicken wisdom! We started the electrolytes. We noticed the chick had some extra energy and was pecking at things. We have gotten her to eat the crumbles. It appears that she is gaining sight. She is also 💩ing.

Thank you to everyone who has offered their chicken wisdom! We started the electrolytes. We noticed the chick had some extra energy and was pecking at things. We have gotten her to eat the crumbles. It appears that she is gaining sight. She is also 💩ing.
The Terramycin might be needed for another day or two if you think it was injury or infection.

Hi, I'm a new chick mom! What exactly is mash? It sounds like something maybe homemade?
Mash is just water mixed with some of the feed.
For the chicks that wont eat food because its to big, like my ayam cemanis i took a milk jug cap washed it, then put the food in and a small amount of water.
I usally use a old container for the chicks and adults as they get older
They absolutely love it! And so do the adults

Back
Top Bottom