Baby chick's tongue is completely missing..omg

Whittni

Crowing
13 Years
Mar 26, 2011
Virginia
No poultry vets in area. 5-week-old OEGB pullet is in penguin stance gasping for air (no rasp, on medicated feed, no other chicks showing any symptoms of anything like a respiratory distress. No discharge, no blood, empty crop, no fluid or vent liquid, no mites).

Her tongue is just straight up GONE. I saw it looked like it was ditached on the bottom of her beak about 2 hours ago? She started breathing oddly about 2.5 hours ago, so I gave her a dairy free yogurt boost and placed her under heat plate. She won't eat or respond to being held. Just seems to be fading (lose of will to live?). Now there just isn't any tongue and her friends seem to keep grooming her and it's horrible to watch.

Sort of afraid the other chicks ate her tongue as cannibalism...if that's happened, I'm put a but off by chickens and probably want to cancel my 2nd chick order for next week. I'm so disturbed and upset, never seen anything like this happen. 🫠 A photo would just show you a gaping black hole that is her thoat without a tongue nor blood.

So sorry about your little chick. It is possible that she could have had a hair or small string wrapped around her tongue, and she swallowed it. That has been posted about here in the past. If you can find anything like that, you could try and cut it. I have never dealt with this before. I hope that she makes it.

No poultry vets in area. 5-week-old OEGB pullet is in penguin stance gasping for air (no rasp, on medicated feed, no other chicks showing any symptoms of anything like a respiratory distress. No discharge, no blood, empty crop, no fluid or vent liquid, no mites).

Her tongue is just straight up GONE. I saw it looked like it was ditached on the bottom of her beak about 2 hours ago? She started breathing oddly about 2.5 hours ago, so I gave her a dairy free yogurt boost and placed her under heat plate. She won't eat or respond to being held. Just seems to be fading (lose of will to live?). Now there just isn't any tongue and her friends seem to keep grooming her and it's horrible to watch.

Sort of afraid the other chicks ate her tongue as cannibalism...if that's happened, I'm put a but off by chickens and probably want to cancel my 2nd chick order for next week. I'm so disturbed and upset, never seen anything like this happen. 🫠 A photo would just show you a gaping black hole that is her thoat without a tongue nor blood.
Hello, did the chick make it?

Back
Top Bottom