Baby Pygmy Goat questions! HELP

IL BrosterGoats

Hatching
Nov 19, 2016
Hello everyone! I just started my account on here and I just started raising baby Pygmy goats. I got them at an auction (not many people raise pygmies around me so I had to go somewhere else to get them) so I have no information about them other than age and that they're weaned. and I've never had goats before. I'm definitely a novice, and need some advice. I have 2 bucks and a ninnie. They are very young. I would say 3-4 weeks.

I tried to see if they will take a bottle of milk replacer but they just won't have it. All they want is grass, alfalfa, and grain.Everyone I've asked says that I don't need to force milk replacer in them since they are weaned. Is this true? Still, my hands are full. I'm nervous about their diet and if they'll survive the cold winter when it's below freezing. (Although I have loaded up their bed with tons of straw plus there's 3 of them) Right now I give them a little over a cup of horse/goat feed, twice a day. And all the alfalfa hay they want. They can also pick grass since there is some that's grown up where I'm keeping them. Is it okay to extend the pen into the yard where they can pick grass all day? I don't see them drink much water. Is this normal? Should I be syringe feeding them milk replacer or will they be okay? I don't see why I need to give them milk replacer if they don't want it and if they are eating solid foods.

I have more questions, but I feel like I've asked too many for now. I hope a lot of people reply because I would like to hear people's opinions and I really need some help!!! Please help this worried mom! Thanks!

Hi and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us. Sadly, I know nothing about goats. Maybe the "Other pets and livestock" forum would be the best place to post your questions. You can also type "goats" in the search box and see what pops up.

Good luck
CT

Back
Top Bottom