Baby quail with leg issues!

GrimApatheia

In the Brooder
Nov 1, 2023
Hi all! Again, still new and not sure where to post this, but I’ve just hatched out 22 lovely little coturnix babies with more possibly to come. The hatch rate has been lovely (out of the 30, minus one that cracked in shipping), and only one little chick has had issues. The little one pipped and got their beak through, but within over 12 hrs couldn’t zip. I cracked some of the shell (I was very careful) but they still couldn’t get out of the membrane. I don’t think it was humidity, but it could have been. Either way, they made it out and after a long time drying are in the brooder. I’m not sure if it’s because of the issues with hatching, but this baby seems to have a bit of a leg issue where one leg is stretched(?) all the way back, with the other forward, like a little split (not splayed). They seem to be doing okay and getting around, but definitely not thriving like the others. Anyone have any suggestions??? Is this a deformity, injury? Should I let it grow and see if it corrects itself? The chick is only a day or two old now. The pictures attached aren’t the best to represent it, but it’s hard to capture. It’s a lot more dramatic in person, and the little one can’t get upright and still hobbles like they all did just after hatching.

Attachments

• 535E80A6-1DBA-43F1-A1D6-6B92B1C10168.jpeg
    535E80A6-1DBA-43F1-A1D6-6B92B1C10168.jpeg
    963.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 4B9ACB1E-446B-4153-8185-85C48C741B67.jpeg
    4B9ACB1E-446B-4153-8185-85C48C741B67.jpeg
    299.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 0A4CF84C-F786-4933-B943-0E12175C04EA.jpeg
    0A4CF84C-F786-4933-B943-0E12175C04EA.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
Hi all! Again, still new and not sure where to post this, but I’ve just hatched out 22 lovely little coturnix babies with more possibly to come. The hatch rate has been lovely (out of the 30, minus one that cracked in shipping), and only one little chick has had issues. The little one pipped and got their beak through, but within over 12 hrs couldn’t zip. I cracked some of the shell (I was very careful) but they still couldn’t get out of the membrane. I don’t think it was humidity, but it could have been. Either way, they made it out and after a long time drying are in the brooder. I’m not sure if it’s because of the issues with hatching, but this baby seems to have a bit of a leg issue where one leg is stretched(?) all the way back, with the other forward, like a little split (not splayed). They seem to be doing okay and getting around, but definitely not thriving like the others. Anyone have any suggestions??? Is this a deformity, injury? Should I let it grow and see if it corrects itself? The chick is only a day or two old now. The pictures attached aren’t the best to represent it, but it’s hard to capture. It’s a lot more dramatic in person, and the little one can’t get upright and still hobbles like they all did just after hatching.
That looks like splayed legs your need to make a splint to keep its legs in place

How you make it is you take a strip vet wrap and make a loop enough to keep the legs the right distance then put it over the legs pinch it in the middle not to tight but just loose enough to where it won’t fall off of the feet

Back
Top Bottom