Bad luck duck or a horrible mother?

CalliBee

Songster
Mar 27, 2022
I have a broody Pekin, which is exciting! But she does a horrible job. Or maybe it’s just bad luck? I know Pekin’s rarely go broody, does that also mean that when/if they do they just don’t have that motherly instinct?
Her first clutch she was sitting on all quit after a few days, as for the second and third I gave her. My other broody Anacona’s are hatching as we speak but my Pekin just isn’t as lucky. Is it something she’s doing? Not turning them? Not giving them the proper temps? She’s very committed to her nest!
Anyone else experience this?

i haven’t experienced that yet since my ducks arent laying yet but i have heard that domestic ducks arent good with sitting on eggs as well as wild ducks and usually need an incubator

i haven’t experienced that yet since my ducks arent laying yet but i have heard that domestic ducks arent good with sitting on eggs as well as wild ducks and usually need an incubator
I ended up breaking her from her brood. She just didn’t have it in her I guess! If she goes broody again I’ll let her try but I already have a full plate with the other mama hatching her babies this week.

Back
Top Bottom