Bad Reaction to Flea / Tick spray, Plz help

jak2002003

Crowing
13 Years
Oct 24, 2009
Thailand
OK, so I know these are not exactly chickens, but I have 2 Gouldian Finches. As they are birds, I guess this would happen if they were chickens.

My partner used a flea and tick spray on the dog's bedding when my two finches were in the same room at the time. The doors and windows were all open to the outside and the fan was on, plus the room is large and the bird cage is on the opposite side to the dog beds. But they reacted very badly to the smell / fumes from the spray. When I came home from work, I noticed that the finches were acting ill.

They usually start singing and dancing about when then see me come in, but this time they were silent and they seemed really distressed, pecking and scratching frantically at themselves constantly and trying to bite their legs, toes, under their wings, and just seemed really to be super itchy. They were flying fast from one side of the cage to the other as if to get out (something they never do, they are lazy normally).

Fortunately, one of them recovered after a couple of days, only was constantly shaking its head rapidly, but now it's totally recovered and is singing again and acting normally.

However, the other bird is still acting very irritated. Its feathers are pressed down sleekly to its body, and it stands up very straight and thin, all the while stamping its feet rapidly and flicking its wings. It sometimes scratches its head, pecks at its chest, and it's breathing heavily as its tired out from doing this 24/7.

At night it can't sleep as it sits on the perch constantly flicking its wings every few seconds.

I felt so desperate for it that I actually bathed it in warm water with dishwashing soap like I have seen people do who rescue oiled seabirds, in case there was some of the chemical on its skin irritating it.

After the bath it dried out, but still acting the same. Tomorrow it will be one week since the spray accident. It seems to be very slightly improved only.

Has anyone seen this kind of reaction to insecticide chemicals in their chickens or birds? I looked so long on the internet to see something that might help with the symptoms but can't find anything as it's so random.

If there is no chance the little guy will improve, I will have to put him to sleep as he is really suffering like this and very upsetting for me to see (I hand reared the pair and he is very tame and sweet).

Thank you for any help you can give me.

I'm so sorry to hear that but I think giving it a bath was an excellent idea. Good luck with your baby.

Back
Top Bottom