Bagworm moths

Ccort

Crowing
Dec 30, 2021
Kentucky, USA
I have an small tree that has bagworm moths on it and they're certainly spreading their cocoons, or whatever you call them.

How can I get rid of them in order to save my tree in a way that will cause no harm to my chickens? They spend quite a lot of time under this tree.

Advice is appreciated!

If you want a natural method you can try vacuuming with a shop vac, blasting the tree with a hose and then tossing any fallen cocoons in a bucket of soapy water/squishing them, or hand removal and soaping/squishing them. Apparently nylon stockings with mint in them help repel the moths from trees but I don't know how effective that would be outdoors in wet or super hot weather? Never had to deal with them myself but I hear they're pretty tough to get rid of since their cocoon is a pretty hardy armor.

If you want a natural method you can try vacuuming with a shop vac, blasting the tree with a hose and then tossing any fallen cocoons in a bucket of soapy water/squishing them, or hand removal and soaping/squishing them. Apparently nylon stockings with mint in them help repel the moths from trees but I don't know how effective that would be outdoors in wet or super hot weather? Never had to deal with them myself but I hear they're pretty tough to get rid of since their cocoon is a pretty hardy armor.
I'm willing to try. I previously removed them by hand and they seemed to stay way for a while but hoping for a long term solution. I'll try it again, plus nylon. I welcome any other recommendations

I'm willing to try. I previously removed them by hand and they seemed to stay way for a while but hoping for a long term solution. I'll try it again, plus nylon. I welcome any other recommendations
A bug zapper near the tree might help for a long-term solution... one with a light would attract the moths before they could get to the tree.

Back
Top Bottom