Bald spot on back of Ameraucana

Grimy Girl

Hatching
10 Years
Mar 15, 2009
Hi All-

I need some advice.

I purchased a laying hen (Ameraucana) with a little bald spot on her back. I thought it was a pecking bald spot she had from the birds she was kept with at the feed store. I wasnt really concerned about it until now and dont know if i even should be.

It is not red or irritated, there are no eggs or signs of lice. I dont see her or my other Hen pecking at it (but i also dont sit and watch them for hours like a good hen ower..but sure wish i could), she is one of a mini backyard flock of two. I have NO roosters. She seems to be well but hasnt layed in a few days which is also a little weird but do i need to worry?

GG

How old is she? What does her diet consist of? Laying pellets, calcium, grit, treats etc? What is her bedding and coop like? Is her comb nice and red or pale and are her eyes shiny and alert? Have you wormed them and do you treat them for mites and lice?

Oh thank you for responding!

They are fed a complete layer feed, 5 grain scratch and grit. They get berries, lettuce and tomatos for snacks (but not every day). I am not sure if the feed is medicated in any way.

She does not appear ill in any other way. She is less than 12 months old and was laying about every 26 + hours when i first brought her home and then stopped last week. At which point the other hen had not yet started laying. Then three days ago the younger hen layed her first (yippee) and has layed three days in a row but the older one (the one with the bald spot) hasnt started up again.

My hen house is on "my chicken pages" with the title Figment of a Big Red Barn. They have pine shavings for a bed that is refreshed weekly. . I have NOT treated them for lice or mites because i havent seen any.. and i do inspect them closely.

Thanks your your help!!

GG

Back
Top Bottom