Balding Bantam Cochin hens

chanceosunshine

Songster
Jul 15, 2019
NW Ohio
I have many breeds of chickens, but I have several Bantam Cochin hens that are literally bald on the tops of their heads. One of the hens has been broody since spring. She's not having feathers pulled from mating.

We have four coops, the hens are in two of the coops and no other chicken is showing signs. I'm assuming some kind of mite or lice. Any idea what would hit just the top of the head like that and what the treatment would be, preferably non toxic?

Photos?

Loss on the tops of heads isn't always due to mating. It can be due to picking/picking from other hens.
If the broody is in a box and the others have access to her, she's basically a sitting chicken waiting to be plucked.
During roosting, I don't know about your hens, but I watch mine on camera. They reach over and nail their neighbor at times, giving the head a nice yank. Often those that are roosting below has someone reach down and give their head feathers a good peck as well.

Broody since spring? Is she sitting on hatching eggs?

You can try applying NuStock cream to the bald areas to see if that helps deter plucking.

Photos?

Loss on the tops of heads isn't always due to mating. It can be due to picking/picking from other hens.
If the broody is in a box and the others have access to her, she's basically a sitting chicken waiting to be plucked.
During roosting, I don't know about your hens, but I watch mine on camera. They reach over and nail their neighbor at times, giving the head a nice yank. Often those that are roosting below has someone reach down and give their head feathers a good peck as well.

Broody since spring? Is she sitting on hatching eggs?

You can try applying NuStock cream to the bald areas to see if that helps deter plucking.
Thank you, I'll get a picture later. She is sitting on the floor and not in a nest box. The moment she gets up to get a drink or eat, the Silkies go and spread her eggs around.

I was letting it go because I don't really need more chicks, but I should take pity on her and put her somewhere protected, I suppose. I guess the Silkies may be picking at her as well.

IMG_6898.jpeg

Poor girl!
She's getting her head plucked while sitting, I bet you!
It may not just be the Silkies. Could be her mates that are sitting right there with her, giving her a pluck every once in a while. Especially if she starts to have any pin feathers come in, those apparently are tasty!

If you don't want her to hatch eggs and she's been sitting a long time, then work on breaking her broodiness so she doesn't lose condition.

Back
Top Bottom