Bamboo leaves as food....

Pics
We've got a big stand of bamboo (all from one pot of the stuff my husband bought at the garden store). The donkeys LOVE it! and we normally cut a few stalks to use in the garden (for staking tomatoes or other plants), leave it in the donkey yard for a few days to allow the donks to strip off all the leaves (and they also like the side branches).

Saw this thread and decided to try tossing a few stalks of bamboo into the chicken run. One of the donkeys got jealous (he doesn't like sharing "his" bamboo) and was trying to nibble on the leaves through the chicken wire, so we had to cut a few more stalks for the donkeys.

It takes a little longer for the chickens to strip off all the leaves and they don't eat the side branches like the donkeys do - so now we've found a way for chickens and donkeys to "share" their bamboo. But the girls do seem to enjoy having a nice, healthy green treat in their run.

We've got a big stand of bamboo (all from one pot of the stuff my husband bought at the garden store). The donkeys LOVE it! and we normally cut a few stalks to use in the garden (for staking tomatoes or other plants), leave it in the donkey yard for a few days to allow the donks to strip off all the leaves (and they also like the side branches).

Saw this thread and decided to try tossing a few stalks of bamboo into the chicken run. One of the donkeys got jealous (he doesn't like sharing "his" bamboo) and was trying to nibble on the leaves through the chicken wire, so we had to cut a few more stalks for the donkeys.

It takes a little longer for the chickens to strip off all the leaves and they don't eat the side branches like the donkeys do - so now we've found a way for chickens and donkeys to "share" their bamboo. But the girls do seem to enjoy having a nice, healthy green treat in their run.
That's a great story...same here about the "1 pot" of bamboo. I purchased a pot of black bamboo and now my yard is a sea of bamboo - i've made the best out of it though! making trails through the stalks and little "rooms" throughout. It's a fun place to meditate! I'm so glad my chickens love to eat it - it's always green!! winter and summer.

That's a great story...same here about the "1 pot" of bamboo. I purchased a pot of black bamboo and now my yard is a sea of bamboo - i've made the best out of it though! making trails through the stalks and little "rooms" throughout. It's a fun place to meditate! I'm so glad my chickens love to eat it - it's always green!! winter and summer.

Bamboo groves are wonderful places to hang out in. Do you eat the shoots?

Wow! We have loads of bamboo in our area! I have thought of planting some as a natural fence but was afraid it would “get away” and take over. But always looking for green treats for our chips!

Back
Top Bottom