Banding

Plague

Songster
Sep 5, 2022
I seen a couple threads asking about banding, but really no help. What I want to know is what have you used to mark your ducks that you found works the best, atleast for you. I would like to know what benefits you find for the type you like and any disadvantages. I’ve seen they have plastic and metal bands, heard of the zip ties, and was curious about maybe some like rubber band ones? Also what sizes do you typically find useful for ducklings up to when they are full grown, examples of breeds would be nice as we know not all breeds are the same sizes, so what worked for your khaki cambells probably wouldn’t work on a pekin, atleast after a week or two once them pekin start outgrowing the others lol. I have thought about the zip ties, but not sure if just any ol colored zip ties are ok, or is there a risk in some say not specifically for poultry? I doubt it matters, but thought I would ask. How hard are they to remove once it is time to change them? Biggest issue I see with the zip tie method would be cutting it off, I wouldn’t want to cut their leg trying to remove them, maybe I’m just over thinking it…. So anyone that has some knowledge on this I would greatly appreciate it and everyone’s suggestions that follow thank you in advance!

The reason I like zip ties is they are easy to use and cheap. So as the bird grows you can just cut off and put on another. I only use them for my hens that are look alike so when I have to worm I am not worming the same one over again.

The reason I like zip ties is they are easy to use and cheap. So as the bird grows you can just cut off and put on another. I only use them for my hens that are look alike so when I have to worm I am not worming the same one over again.
Have you had any issues removing them when they outgrow them? Or is there a certain point you just cut it off you found that makes it easy to cut off without hurting your babies? That is my biggest concern with the zip ties, since them ducklings grow so fast, could end up way to tight overnight if not careful enough is my worry. Once full grown at max weight I couldn’t see it being an issue you would want to remove them, so I’m just more worried as they grow keeping them marked so can know who is who. My wife already wrote out a list with all their names on it, I was told I had to name them, but she ended up doing most, think it was only 2 I ended up getting to name lol. So I will at the very least have to figure out a way to mark who is who lol.

Back
Top Bottom