Bantam laying soft shelled eggs

Muso31

In the Brooder
Mar 6, 2022
Hi all, I have 3 bantam hens and my silver laced wyandotte started to lay first, Easter Monday of all the days!

She was laying great but the last week she has started to lay soft shelled eggs. She was recently wormed (end of May) with flubenvet and I supply oyster shell in addition to her layer feed, although she doesn't seem interested in it. She's otherwise happy and healthy and happily roams the garden free every day. I've given probiotics to no avail. Could anybody help as to why she's no longer laying normal eggs?

soft shelled eggs usually means lack of calcium, although if she’s recently started laying i would expect a few ‘wonky’ eggs as her body is getting used to making them.

i know a few people don’t like doing it for different reasons but weve found that making scrambled eggs and adding the crushed shell is a good way of getting the calcium back into them without a fuss- they love eating eggs as a treat!

Hi all, I have 3 bantam hens and my silver laced wyandotte started to lay first, Easter Monday of all the days!

She was laying great but the last week she has started to lay soft shelled eggs. She was recently wormed (end of May) with flubenvet and I supply oyster shell in addition to her layer feed, although she doesn't seem interested in it. She's otherwise happy and healthy and happily roams the garden free every day. I've given probiotics to no avail. Could anybody help as to why she's no longer laying normal eggs?
She needs Oyster Shells, i get mine from the fisherman here, already cooked i just use my truck to smash em when their in a black bag. If ur not near the coast, Tractor Supply sells great feed with high oyster shell content and even alone, just put some in a bowl for ur chickens to use as grit. Or u can take their shells and smash them into almost a powder, and mix into their feed. Dont ever feed whole shells or recognizable eggs to a chicken, u will create a Cannibal. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom