Barnevelder hatchery quality or Partridge Rock?

mydaisy

Songster
May 9, 2022
Oklahoma is OK!
I have 2 Barnevelders, or at least they were both in the Barnevelder bin at Atwoods. There were no Partridge Rock bins. They use Ideal, I believe. Anyway, I have been wondering heavily if one of them is even Barnevelder. They were both identical as chicks, they feathered up the same way, they are maturing at the same rate. However, one of them had more black and so I was told she might be a male. Anyway, turns out she is definitely a female and possibly the only legit Barnevelder. They are both 20 weeks old. The one in question had a black neck until about 4 weeks ago started getting the copper coloring which made me wonder if she is a Partridge Rock. BUT, the one who looks like a barnie also has faint copper in her neck as well. So what is your opinion? Are they just hatchery quality barnies or is one an imposter?

First 3 pics are the known barnie, the next 3 are the are the one in question.

Attachments

• bv4.jpg
    bv4.jpg
    1,006.2 KB · Views: 40
  • bv1.jpg
    bv1.jpg
    879.5 KB · Views: 25
  • bv3.jpg
    bv3.jpg
    791.1 KB · Views: 24
  • bv6.jpg
    bv6.jpg
    910.9 KB · Views: 24
  • bv5.jpg
    bv5.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 27
  • bv2.jpg
    bv2.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 24
Last edited:
I have 2 Barnevelders, or at least they were both in the Barnevelder bin at Atwoods. There were no Partridge Rock bins. They use Ideal, I believe. Anyway, I have been wondering heavily if one of them is even Barnevelder. They were both identical as chicks, they feathered up the same way, they are maturing at the same rate. However, one of them had more black and so I was told she might be a male. Anyway, turns out she is definitely a female and possibly the only legit Barnevelder. They are both 20 weeks old. The one in question had a black neck until about 4 weeks ago started getting the copper coloring which made me wonder if she is a Partridge Rock. BUT, the one who looks like a barnie also has faint copper in her neck as well. So what is your opinion? Are they just hatchery quality barnies or is one an imposter?

First 3 pics are the known barnie, the next 3 are the are the one in question.
They both look like Barnevelders for sure. I'd say they just have some small differences in feather color because of being "hatchery quality." Enjoy the dark eggs! :)

@GravityWaves Thanks for the reply. The lacing on the second one was also throwing me off, I should have also listed that her lacing is very "busy" for a Barnevelder. I guess I was just being paranoid lol. They truly are both beautiful, the pictures do not do justice. I can't wait for the eggs! 💕

Back
Top Bottom