Barred Plymouth rock, poopy butt

PhenixJiRa

Songster
Aug 12, 2022
Idaho
Does anyone else have issues with barred Plymouth Rock hens having dirty bottoms all the time?

Mine have had this issue as pullets and still while hens. I have to clean them periodically or it builds up and the eggs are dirty.

As far as I know they are not sick. I say that because this has been the case for at least a year. I’ve cut way back on treats and the only extra they get are things like cabbage or kale or what they find in the yard.

In the winter, I gave them extra proteins, but I have cut back on that now that it is summer.

Should I only let them have their pellets for a couple weeks with nothing extra? I can’t prevent them from eating grass because I let them out at least an hour a day.

Note: their bottoms are not excessively dirty. But it does feel that if I don’t clean them once in a while. They do not have diarrhea.

The fatty treats you are handing out regularly can lead to an accumulation of fat underneath their vents (fat pad) which often gets soiled by poop.

Try feeding just their regular pellets for a while and see if the butt soiling lessens.

You can always lure them with a bit of wet pellet mash served in a bowl if need be.

When did you last deworm them?

The fatty treats you are handing out regularly can lead to an accumulation of fat underneath their vents (fat pad) which often gets soiled by poop.

Try feeding just their regular pellets for a while and see if the butt soiling lessens.

You can always lure them with a bit of wet pellet mash served in a bowl if need be.

When did you last deworm them?
I have never dewormed them.
Do you suggest a particular product or brand for that?

I didn’t think of worms because the situation hasn’t gotten worse… It’s just very constant. I have checked them for worms, and, assuming I would see something around the vent, I’ve never been able to see that they have worms.

But if it is a good idea to treat for it, I am willing to do it! I just need a little advice on what to use on how to administrate.

I did recently start putting probiotics in their water again. I have never noticed that that helps with this, but I figured I would try once more.

You can just trim those feathers off, rather then clean them.
Othe then that, what LaFleche said.
I have trimmed their feathers off and on, and they really don’t have many back there. One of them even has an area without feathers at all. I’ve been watching that closely, but she keeps laying eggs with no other indication of not feeling well.

Yes, my BRs definitely have this problem. I try to keep them trimmed, but they still get dirty. It's not excessive poop, but the feathers are dirtier than what I like to see.

Yes, my BRs definitely have this problem. I try to keep them trimmed, but they still get dirty. It's not excessive poop, but the feathers are dirtier than what I like to see
I was beginning to wonder if it was this breed in particular.

Poop gets stuck on their feathers and it just keeps building up. They definitely do not squat or adjust their bodies the way the other chickens do when they go.

I’m going to try probiotics and no treats other than what they find in the yard. I’m also clean them up and trim their feathers again.

If all this doesn’t help, then I think I’m just resigned to the fact, their butts are dirty.

I have never dewormed them.
Do you suggest a particular product or brand for that?

I didn’t think of worms because the situation hasn’t gotten worse… It’s just very constant. I have checked them for worms, and, assuming I would see something around the vent, I’ve never been able to see that they have worms.

But if it is a good idea to treat for it, I am willing to do it! I just need a little advice on what to use on how to administrate.

I did recently start putting probiotics in their water again. I have never noticed that that helps with this, but I figured I would try once more.
You could deworm them using Safeguard (for goats) or Valbazen
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...s-for-poultry-waterfowl-and-game-birds.75490/

Back
Top Bottom