Barred Plymouth Rocks vs New Hampshires

May 9, 2020
Clark County, KY
I’ve had both breeds, but from different hatcheries with different results.
So far haven’t been overly impressed with Barred Rocks
A few years ago I got some New Hampshires from Rural King presumably from Hoover’s. Liked them pretty well, and last year ordered some from Murray McMurray and so far they are better looking darker colored birds. These though, don’t seem to lay quite as well ( still good ) and the eggs are lighter in color.
I haven’t had Barred Rocks from McM before and have been satisfied with everything else from there.
This year BR was available from McM so interested to see if they turn out better than in the past.
Now trying to decide whether or not to add sone New Hampshire pullets to the order.
Math has always been my weak point and Chicken math is a nightmare for me.
Would the New Hampshires add much in terms of better egg laying, different shade of egg color etc?

Following!

I have two birds from McMurrray, a Welsummer & an “Ameracuana”. They are LAYING MACHINES right now. I know they aren’t the breeds you asked about, but if you want color variety you could try one of each. Friendly birds, Wellie lays a very dark brown with tiny speckled, and has only missed about 4 days since November. “Ameraucana” EE lays a gorgeous blue egg, usually about 6 a week.

Following to hear about McM Barred Rocks & New Hampshires!

Following!

I have two birds from McMurrray, a Welsummer & an “Ameracuana”. They are LAYING MACHINES right now. I know they aren’t the breeds you asked about, but if you want color variety you could try one of each. Friendly birds, Wellie lays a very dark brown with tiny speckled, and has only missed about 4 days since November. “Ameraucana” EE lays a gorgeous blue egg, usually about 6 a week.

Following to hear about McM Barred Rocks & New Hampshires!
Had a barred rock from McM several, got at 4 wks, have 2 from Hoovers that are not nearly as big (way smaller than EE or OE) or as pretty as McM. Will be ordering from McM when I can get more chicks.

Back
Top Bottom