Barred Rock babies from Delaware Roo over White Rock hen?

Mojo Chick'n

Empress of Chickenville
11 Years
Mar 8, 2008
Republic of Chickenville
Heya all - I didn't want to highjack the other barred thread, so I got one of my own.

I have barred rocks - BUT, I have stopped setting eggs from them, since the hens are under a OEG roo who is getting older and not "hitting" everyone equally. (too much wasted space in the bator).

I also have an enclosed flock of White Rock and Lt. Brahma hens under a Delaware rooster. I have only been hatching these eggs the last two batches.

Last batch I got one Barred Rock, this most current batch I got three Barred Rocks. (well, they look like BR, not from BR parents, of course - but otherwise you couldn't tell the difference...)

Now, I believe I read that Delawares have BR in their history, and paired with a White Rock, would that produce "throwbacks" ?

It's just very strange.

meri

Delawares have the columbian gene which restricts barring to certain areas. Your crosses lost the restriction and now the barring is free to express itself.
wink.png

Quote:
I like the chicks - was just surprizing to see them pop out of eggs when all the others are white chicks or white with a little black on them.

lau.gif
Nature sure is interesting, eh?

thanks for answering
big_smile.png

meri

I've got a few barred babies that came from a BR hen and Delaware dad. I find myself wondering what would be the result of breeding them back to a Delaware (the two that are old enough to tell sex both appear to be cockerels, the other just hatched yesterday -- but head spot hints at cockerel). Would it be a way to improve the barring on the Delawares? Questions like that could lead me to becoming the crazy chicken lady for real.........
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom