Barred Rock with Silkie feathers

Dcarey

Chirping
Apr 18, 2021
Hello all!
So I’m contemplating an idea and I’d like for y’all to tell me whether I’m cracked in the head or if this is achievable.
I’d like to cross Silkie’s and Barred Rocks to achieve:
1.) No barbicels
2.) the barring
3.) the single comb
4.) the black/purple skin of the Silkie
5.) the fecundity of the Rock
6.) I haven’t decided on if I want the body type of the Rock or a bigger Silkie though. (Yes, I do understand that either one I pick will come with it’s own set of challenges)
7.) After the initial strain is established, I’d like to introduce and achieve buff and white colored barring instead of the black and white coloring

Hello all!
So I’m contemplating an idea and I’d like for y’all to tell me whether I’m cracked in the head or if this is achievable.
I’d like to cross Silkie’s and Barred Rocks to achieve:
1.) No barbicels
2.) the barring
3.) the single comb
4.) the black/purple skin of the Silkie
5.) the fecundity of the Rock
6.) I haven’t decided on if I want the body type of the Rock or a bigger Silkie though. (Yes, I do understand that either one I pick will come with it’s own set of challenges)
7.) After the initial strain is established, I’d like to introduce and achieve buff and white colored barring instead of the black and white coloring
F1s will not have "silkie" feathers, they will be smooth feathered. The silkied gene only shows in the phenotype of this cross after already been crossed once. When you cross two F1s together, 1/4 of the offspring would have silkie feathers.

F1s will not have "silkie" feathers, they will be smooth feathered. The silkied gene only shows in the phenotype of this cross after already been crossed once. When you cross two F1s together, 1/4 of the offspring would have silkie feathers.
So it would be closer to the 3rd generation before I saw the beginnings of any headway? This isn’t disheartening news for me so thank you!

So it would be closer to the 3rd generation before I saw the beginnings of any headway? This isn’t disheartening news for me so thank you!
Basically. So, when you breed two F1s together and get 1/4 who have silkie feathers, you would want to breed those together.

Back
Top Bottom