BBW Hen 30+ lbs (put it out of its misery?)

hysop

RIP Ryder (2022) & Hammy (2019)
Sep 16, 2019
SW Georgia
I was given three BBW turkey hens. I don’t feed them because they free range and get enough food on their own on the acres and acres we have. Yet she has gotten so fat! I didn't weigh her but I picked up 2 15 lb weights and she weighs more than that.

Sooooo I’m guessing I should put her out of her misery before it gets too hot? 🤔 I thought all the hens could just free range and enjoy life although deep down I knew that wouldn't be possible because they steal my dogs' food and my goats' feed even when I try to shoo them away. They’re always the first ones there when I throw scraps to my dogs and chickens.

She has started to just lay there with her wings out resting. But once she catches her breath she can run. But more like a waddle run. It's both pitiful and hilarious. The others are still fine and don’t look nearly as huge as her...yet.

Ohh I woulda thought it fell under meat birds but I guess the turkey forum would be better suited 😂
Thanks. I guess I’ll mosey on over there and see if I can find a thread that talks about how big is too big for these BBWs

Ohh I woulda thought it fell under meat birds but I guess the turkey forum would be better suited 😂
Thanks. I guess I’ll mosey on over there and see if I can find a thread that talks about how big is too big for these BBWs
And now you know the rest of the story. You need to find a way to prevent the turkeys from having access to the dog food.

You do need to provide the turkeys with their own food even if they are free ranging. If you can find it, a low protein turkey maintenance food would be great. The protein level can be as low as 12% for mature broad breasted turkeys. Make sure the feed they get is not high in fat.

And now you know the rest of the story. You need to find a way to prevent the turkeys from having access to the dog food.

You do need to provide the turkeys with their own food even if they are free ranging. If you can find it, a low protein turkey maintenance food would be great. The protein level can be as low as 12% for mature broad breasted turkeys. Make sure the feed they get is not high in fat.
I guess my real question was, is 30+ pounds a decent weight to butcher and store in my freezer? I just don’t want to gamble on her dying on her own and then I can’t eat it.

Or can she lose weight on her own? She's way fatter than the other two. I have started to sit with my dogs while they eat and prevent the turkeys from coming near.

She is overweight and would give you a good carcass if you butchered her at this time. I prefer not to freeze my poultry but many do. For a turkey I would process it at least 3 full days and not more than 5 days before I planned to cook it. I would store it in the refrigerator unless room is an issue in which case I would store it in a chest cooler with ice.

As long as you get her stopped from eating the dog food and any other high fat foods, her free range exercise will get her to start losing weight.

Back
Top Bottom