Be on lookout for Salmonella and E Coli

Warrior Creek

Chirping
Mar 26, 2021
Be on the lookout for e coli in your birds. I just had to be hospitalized again for the second the this year. I went septic in September and had to go on lactated rinfers, Cipro, Metradinazole IVs for 28 hours, almost dialysis.

I only have one turkey that seems to be susceptible to it. But the symptoms are clearish diarrhea w greenish tinge to whatever color for salmonella to brownish for e coli, but onset is 2-5 days. Treatment is 5 days metradinazole (I give my 22 lb turkey 500 mg crushed in yogurt (no artificial sweetener) split in 2 doses( bottled or boiled water only; and Enroflaxin 100 mg 1.5 Ml from DVM 3 days after a clear fecal.

It’s important to take biosecurity measures and toss infected bird’s eggs, bc my DVM manual says it’s transmitted through the shell and also to other birds.

Make sure to test groundwater wells also at least 1X a year and sanitize them . Easiest w 70% hypochlorite tablets you get off Amazon instead of 7% chlorine bleach to get proper dosage of 100 ppm million. Or get professional to do it.

And my grandson complains and whines every. single. time. that I make him wash his hands after going to the chicken pen, or touching freshly laid eggs. SMH. :he He thinks if they're not sick, he won't get sick either.

We are on a farm. Cattle, pigs, chickens, dogs, cats..... as I understand it, E-coli and salmonella are likely to be everywhere outside where the animals go. Best we can do is remove shoes before coming inside, wash hands after coming inside, and I sanitize light switches, doorknobs, and handles (fridge, toilets, faucets, etc.) frequently.

So sorry it got to you so badly! Thanks for the warning.

Seriously it can cause kidney failure in the wink of an eye. The very people most at risk “are children” and older adults. Even healthy cattle shed the potentially deadly 0157:H7 e coli to each other daily in their feed throughs and waters. It’s a much more toxic waterborne pathogen than that passed by other farm animals. If you go to YouTube and look up Walkertown Ontario Canada Water Crisis “ The Responders,” 17 minutes in it comes to the pathogen contaminating a public utility well w a chlorinator offline and killed 6 children older adults, sickened half a town of 6,000. The water plant operators went to prison over it One of my international equine DVMs told me about it.

This is why I caution everyone about well testing and sanitation, keeping an eye out for their birds, I never expected to go septic myself, although I had been sick before. Nobody took me seriously until I almost had to go on dialysis. And had to go to ER again last Saturday.

Cattle aren’t bad, farmers aren’t bad. Bacteria is organic and it’s going to happen, but with it are also other pathogens, so very important. Just like we can also pick up salmonella, which racing pigeon folks vaccinate for and give their birds metradinazole every month during racing season.

Seriously it can cause kidney failure in the wink of an eye. The very people most at risk “are children” and older adults. Even healthy cattle shed the potentially deadly 0157:H7 e coli to each other daily in their feed throughs and waters. It’s a much more toxic waterborne pathogen than that passed by other farm animals. If you go to YouTube and look up Walkertown Ontario Canada Water Crisis “ The Responders,” 17 minutes in it comes to the pathogen contaminating a public utility well w a chlorinator offline and killed 6 children older adults, sickened half a town of 6,000. The water plant operators went to prison over it One of my international equine DVMs told me about it.

This is why I caution everyone about well testing and sanitation, keeping an eye out for their birds, I never expected to go septic myself, although I had been sick before. Nobody took me seriously until I almost had to go on dialysis. And had to go to ER again last Saturday.

Cattle aren’t bad, farmers aren’t bad. Bacteria is organic and it’s going to happen, but with it are also other pathogens, so very important. Just like we can also pick up salmonella, which racing pigeon folks vaccinate for and give their birds metradinazole every month during racing season.
All that happened in Walkertown Ontario was a farner top dressed his field w cattle manure, a heavy rain event and it contaminated one of 5 public utilities wells, without being treated at the plant before it reached homes.

Back
Top Bottom