Songster
12 Years
Sep 14, 2007
Modesto Ca
Hi There

As some of you may know I have 2 non bearded silkie hens
I saw pics of bearded silkies and fell in love

My question is
1. if I get a bearded roo and breed him with my non bearded hens, what are the odds of having bearded babbies?

Also on color genetics

2. If the roo is black and bearded and the hens are white non bearded, what will the color combos be, along with beardiness?

Thanks
smile.png

if you get silkies from a hatchery they mix bearded and non bearded birds they say beards in a silkie is a killer gene but i see breeders on here do bearded x bearded the beards would be much smaller if i had a better camera i would show you a pic of my hatchery birds with beards so you can see what bearded x nonbearded would look like and its a 50/50 chance if you breed bearded to nonbearded

idk a thing about colors yet

I am no genetic expert but there are varying degrees of beards. It is not simply a case of bearded or non-bearded. You can get anything in-between. BUT, I have been getting some odd looking birds from my line of bearded show Silkies by mating brother to sister. I ended up with a PERFECT non-bearded bird with an enormous crest.

The muff/bearded gene is NOT lethal. A double dose of the tufted gene is; it is found only in true araucanas and quetros (one of the breeds used to create the araucana breed).

Back
Top Bottom