Bedding for my coop

demekidis

In the Brooder
Oct 4, 2023
fethiye, Turkey
Hello, I've bought a plastic dog house to accommodate my 4 ladies which is really practical for daily rinse (water cleaning)
However, I would love to add some bedding in order to make the coop cozy and clean it less often.
Any ideas?

Thanks a lot in advance

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-12-02 at 14.19.11.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-12-02 at 14.19.11.jpeg
    239.5 KB · Views: 38
That is too small for 4 birds. And it has no ventilation that I can see.
How are you going to secure it to prevent predator attacks at night?
I would never use that as a coop for birds.
Water cleaning a coop, daily or otherwise, isn't necessary. Copious amounts of ventilation and adequate space to prevent behavioral issues absolutely are.
Have you considered getting hold of an old shed or other larger building and converting that into a coop instead? It would be much more practical for you and ever so much better for your birds.

Thank you @DobieLover

The size of the coop is 1 sq meter.
1 meter is 3.28 foot or 40 inches.
I have two buff orpingtons and two bandams.

I don't worry about predetors, as I live in a sunny town and the backyard is fenced.
However sparrows find shelter on the backyard regularly and I worry about the diseases they may carry.
There is no ventilation but on the rare top, there are holes. not visible due to the angle I took the photo.

I Welcome comprehensive answers as this is my first flock :)

Last edited:
I agree with @DobieLover .

I don't worry about predetors, as I live in a sunny town and the backyard is fenced.
However sparrows find shelter on the backyard regularly and I worry about the diseases they may carry.
Not sure what "a sunny town" has to do with predators, would you explain that?
Yes, song birds can bring disease and more likely pests like lice and mites, not to mention they will eat a lot of chicken feed.
Many predators can get over, through or under a fence, depending on the kind of fence.

Where in this world are you located?
Climate is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1701605004268.png

hi @aart
It has nothing to do with predators, just mentioned it, as it may help get more accurate answers.
I live in northern Turkey. The weather never drops below 5 C/41 F

It has nothing to do with predators, just mentioned it, as it may help get more accurate answers.
Well, predators are almost always something to consider, but I have no idea what might be common in your area. Nor would I know what to recommend for bedding.

Still stands that the coop is awfully small and the ventilation is a concern.

They have to have ventilation to prevent a myriad of problems. Maybe get some hardware cloth or local equivalent and start cutting a hole or two. As for bedding see if you can find sawdust or hay both will work and I wouldn’t worry about water cleaning I have literally never done that. Usually just changing the bedding works.

As for predators even if you haven’t seen them they are there and your girls will attract them.

Back
Top Bottom