Before and after shed tidy up into coop

orpingtonnz

Chirping
Feb 17, 2023
New Zealand
20230302_121803.jpg
20230302_121757.jpg
20230302_121749.jpg

Here is the after and before of my shed/coop clean up. It's about 90% done now with some small areas that need further proofing just incase there are rats around. I have a step on feeder and bigger water container for when they get bigger. It's nothing fancy and done on a budget.

We have just popped a mother bantam and her chicks in there today.

I haven't put a roost in yet, wasn't sure if chicks even go on a roost (2 weeks old), but will grab one over the weekend.

This is a definite upgrade from where I picked them up today where they were in a cage about 1m x 1m alongside a whole lot of other chickens so looking forward to giving them some tlc and hopefully raising some fairly tame hens out of the chicks. Mum hen is calm but I wouldn't call her friendly just yet.

Any pointers on how we could further improve the coop would be appreciated, will put a roll down tarp on the far end before the winter to reduce wind/rain.

Oops forgot to say we will also set up a run outside so this will be the sleeping/food/water area but there will be some of the garden fenced off for them to go outside to. We will do that in the weekend.

Thanks for the advice and support so far in the journey :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230224_105635_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20230224_105635_Photos.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20230224_105628_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20230224_105628_Photos.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20230224_105625_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20230224_105625_Photos.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Looks great.
Chicks will start using roosts now more as entertainment then anything else. I give them a small branch or 2x2 board less than a foot off the ground as a practice roost to start. They will move up to a regular diameter roost and start sleeping up there around 4-5 months.
Raise the feeders and waterers more to help keep the shavings out.
Chicks can easily fit through the chain link until they are a month old. You might want to line the bottom with chicken wire or hardware cloth.

Looks great.
Chicks will start using roosts now more as entertainment then anything else. I give them a small branch or 2x2 board less than a foot off the ground as a practice roost to start. They will move up to a regular diameter roost and start sleeping up there around 4-5 months.
Raise the feeders and waterers more to help keep the shavings out.
Chicks can easily fit through the chain link until they are a month old. You might want to line the bottom with chicken wire or hardware cloth.
Thank you, I'll put a little wee play roost in for them. I chucked a few bits of firewood in there and they seem to enjoy it. You can't see it clearly but the wire is 95% lined with hardware cloth, just one more bit up the top left to do.

I did put a small plank under the food and water but I'll lift it again, do you think they will be able to reach it OK? I haven't seen them use it at all since I settled them this afternoon but I'm assuming they managed to have some food and water as they were looking lively and well.

Maybe I'll put a few branches in for them to play on, might head out to the beach and get a nice smooth log of Driftwood.

I looked in tonight and they are all tucked under them hen in a corner which is exposed, do you think she would like more shelter or privacy? I left the carry cage in there and also put some straw in the wardrobe thing but she seems to be out in the open.

They will hop up on the block of wood to drink for now. Raise and lower it to find the perfect height. Chicks like to stand in the feeder and scratch. If you put it in a feed pan or pie plate you can catch the stuff that they are flinging out.
I would clean out the wardrobe and use it to store supplies and feed.

Back
Top Bottom