Beginner Questions (Lots of Help Needed)

Animallover8

Hatching
May 22, 2019
Hello! This is my first post and I hope this is being posted in the right place.

I have 2 full-sized horses right now but I will be selling one. I originally planned on getting a Miniature Horse to be a companion for the full-sized horse left but I want to try a goat. My horse is very easy going so I think that it'll go well. If not, I will have to rehome the goat. So now that you know the back story, I have some questions. Please keep in mind that I have little knowledge on goats but I've been doing a lot of research. So first let me tell you what I want out of owning a goat.

1. I want a fairly large, friendly, well behaved (quiet too) goat to hopefully be best friends with my horse. If all goes well and I love goat keeping then I would love to try getting into dairy. Maybe have kids once a year. Eventually sell the kids and use the milk. (I'm thinking that Saanen goats would probably be best for me.) However, I'm worried that the doe would become distant from my horse when it has kids. (They wouldn't even be able to be kept in the same paddock I assume.) Any ideas? Also, there don't seem to be tons of bucks, or goats period, around me. I would prefer not to keep a buck at home. How much would a Saanen kid be worth approximately?

2. Now the worming topic. I've heard of people doing it many different ways but I've heard good things about the deworming supplements. Do you feed then 24/7 or just whenever they need to be determined?

3. When if comes to fencing I know that it can be difficult. I have a combination of 2 strand electric fencing at 7000 volts. (The bottom wire is about 2 feet off the ground. The top wire is about 3 feet off the ground.) I also have wooden fence with 4 boards. It also have welding wire stapled to the inside of it. Lastly I have woven wire horse fence with t-posts. Will all of these work?

4. Now, if the goat were to escape I want to make sure that it always has proper ID on it. So I thought about just keeping a collar on it 24/7. There isn't anything that it should be able to get caught on but do they have breakaway collars just in case? Would leather breakaway? I wouldn't prefer leather though. Pictures and links would help.

5. When is comes to leading the goat (I'm totally going to take it for walks ) what type of halter works best? The nylon type or the rope halter type? Or even the collar?

6. Now for food, would it be ok on a dry lot with 24/7 access to a round bake? (It has a net of it.) For grain, I know that some feed a depleted feed for livestock but some feed a mixture of rolled oats and whole corn. What are the pros and cons to each?

7. I've learned how to trim their hooves from YouTube videos but I dont see anyone using a ras . Is that needed? Are hoof oils beneficial? Can you use horse nippers or are goat nippers needed specifically? Can they get thrush like horses?

8. If you have horses then you know how important grooming is. It's a whole process with a curry comb, hard brush, soft brush, picking their hooves and more. Do goats require the same? I'm especially wondering about picking their hooves. Can they get things like rain rot?

9. I live in Georgia so it can get HOT. Could I body clip the goat if it was needed? Would it affect how the cost grows back for winter?

10. This may sound strand but could a goat reach a 100 gallon water trough from Tractor Supply? Something like a Saanen or a little smaller.

11. What dairy breeds are a little small than Saanen goats but still fit my needs? (reference those in paragraph #1) Do any of those have long ears?

12. Ok, this is going to sound REALLY weird but goat poop is like little peebles if I'm remembering correctly. Can a normal pitchfork pick it up?

13. What temperatures can goats tolerate? (What is the maximum and minimum temperature that they can be comfortable in?) Blanket pictures and links would be great if you think they're necessary.

14. Can you train goats to do liberty? I'm a horse person so I'm just curious. could I teach it to rear, stand on a pedestal, sit, Spanish walk, smile, kiss, etc? (Feel free to research liberty and these tricks if you're unfamiliar with them. YouTube would give you a good idea of what they are.) Would training be the same as a horse?

15. Random question but I might as well thepugh it in here. What is the noise that goats make called? I can't remember for the life if me. Also, will goats come when you call there name?

16. Can you goat-proof a tube livestock gate with something like chicken wire? Any cheap ideas would be appreciated.

17. Since I want a goat to really bond with my horse and the other way around I originally only wanted to get one. That way the two goats wouldn't ignore and leave out the horse. However, some say that you can not have one single goat even if it's with a horse. What are your thoughts on this?

18. I've watched videos on how to milk a goat but I'm hearing people say things about spraining the milk. I'm confused on that. What do you store your milk in once in the refrigerator?

19. Do goats need their teeth floated (filed) like horses do? If so, how often and by who?

20. Again on the lack of goats near me, is there an online place to buy them. For example, you can buy horses on equinenow and horseclicks.

21. How would I sell the kids if I do end up breeding? I'm going to go ahead and ask now even though it would be down the road.

22. Lastly, I typically drink skim milk. I think it. What breed of goats milk would be the most similar to that?

I have each section numbered so it will be easier for me and hopefully you. To anyone who helps, thank you so much!!! I know this is probably an overwhelming amount of questions but I want to make sure I have all of the knowledge needed so the goat gets the best care I can give them. Thank you again.

Welcome To BYC! There is a sister site to BYC called backyard herds, there are lots of goat experts there. As for my goat knowledge, #22 doesn't seem to be possible, milk is naturally very fatty and must be processed to make it skim.

#4. Microchip in addition to anything else for ID.

That exhausts my goat knowledge.
That's a great idea! I didn't even think of that. And yes, it's a lot of questions.

Welcome To BYC! There is a sister site to BYC called backyard herds, there are lots of goat experts there. As for my goat knowledge, #22 doesn't seem to be possible, milk is naturally very fatty and must be processed to make it skim.
I just posted the same thing on BYH so thank you for telling me about it. I figured that it wouldn't be like skim but I've heard that some goat breeds have less rich milk.

Back
Top Bottom