Beginner with some questions about raising quail + pheasants

Thanks for all the help!

I think what I'll aim for is only male pheasants...either one by himself (unless that's a bad idea) or two or three together. But no pheasant hens.
As for the quail, I'm thinking of aiming for one male and three or four females.

About the chickens/quail cross contamination and infection issue...like I said in the first post, I have two chicken coops, one empty and one with chickens in it. They're about 5 or 6 feet apart, i.e. there's a ~6ft. patch of open area between the door to the first coop and the door to the second coop. I was thinking of building onto the existing empty coop, but would it be too close to the chickens? I let the chickens loose some times so they can wander around the yard...if they wandered over to the quail coop, even if there was no direct contact between the two (the chickens being outside, the quail being inside), would that result in infection?
Also, chickens have been in there before and roosters have lived in it for months, albeit not for a while. Would the fact that chickens used to live in there be enough to infect the quail by living in that same area?

Another question (sorry!): how many square feet is needed in a pen per Bobwhite Quail and per Golden Pheasant? I found a site not too long ago that had a chart of the square footage needed per bird but I can no longer locate it so if anyone here could help that'd be great
smile.png

Well I have quail chickens and guineas all living in the same barn and have had them now for almost 1 year and have had not trouble I bought the quail and chickens as babies and they have been raised together all the way through. Although now after reading all the comments I might go and move them out side. The 4 Guineas, 2 Cocos and a big old White leghorn Rooster roam the barn all the time now the barn is 30ft x 40ft I keep all my hens on one end of the 40ft distance and the Quail on the other end and they have been doing fine. For the amount of space I like to have about 2sqft per bird but I keep mine in a cage all the time if you have a flight pen then you can have a whole lot smaller coop maybe 6 to 8 sq inches each. Most of the time they are only in there for bedding so they do not need as much room and when they are resting they huddle up together anyway.

ok I got some quail this weekend. They are really cute. But my question is the lady who sold them to me said they were mature and laying. I got 2 males and 4 females in brown and the same for the white. I have had them since Sunday and I only have gotten one egg. Is this due to the fact it may be a little chilly here in St. Petersburg or they are in a new place? Quail are new for me. I am use to chickens. Any ideas or suggestions. I put up a wood barrier in the corner of the chicken run to keep them away from the chickens. and enclosed with chicken wire. So their area is like a triangular shape 4-6 feet high 6ft by 3ft by 3ft.

And they are not having any contact with your other birds?

If they are not laying they are still getting used to their new environment. I wouldn't lay either if I was shoved in a new home
smile.png
In a few weeks your quail should start laying again
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom