Below Freezing temperatures

cotoletta

Songster
7 Years
Jul 17, 2014
London England
Hiya, I’m in the SE of England and temperatures at night will be dropping as low as -10c. We don’t have a heat lamp for our coop. I’ve only got 2 hens and I’m worried they’ll get so cold they’ll freeze to death. Can hens cope in this temperature at night? Just two of them? Please advise! Thank you! Xx

What is your normal low temperature? If that temperature is within 10-20 degrees of what they have already been experiencing at night, they will probably be fine, as long as their coop is adequate.

An adequate coop for that temperature needs to have a roof, and needs to keep the wind off the chickens. They still need ventilation, so moisture and ammonia and bad smells can get out, but it needs to be arranged so the wind cannot blow directly on them.

Chicken feathers are very good at keeping them warm if they are dry (under a roof, plenty of ventilation) and out of the wind.

I'm guessing your current coop is fine, but I stated what is needed because I don't actually know what kind of coop you have for your chickens.

I took this photo when it was -16 C (+4 F). I left the pop door open and let them decide what they wanted to do. Since a cold wind was not blowing they went outside. If a cold wind had been blowing they would not be out in it. If your coop gives decent wind protection they should not have any problems.

The low that night was -20 C (-4 F) but it had warmed up by the time I got the camera. You can see the ice that I dumped out of their waterer.

Ice.jpg

What is your normal low temperature? If that temperature is within 10-20 degrees of what they have already been experiencing at night, they will probably be fine, as long as their coop is adequate.

An adequate coop for that temperature needs to have a roof, and needs to keep the wind off the chickens. They still need ventilation, so moisture and ammonia and bad smells can get out, but it needs to be arranged so the wind cannot blow directly on them.

Chicken feathers are very good at keeping them warm if they are dry (under a roof, plenty of ventilation) and out of the wind.

I'm guessing your current coop is fine, but I stated what is needed because I don't actually know what kind of coop you have for your chickens.
Oh thank you so much for replying! My coop is covered with a roof, with ventilation but no wind can come in. They were fine last night, happy and chirpy this morning. You’ve reassured me so I am not so worried. I know their feathers keep them warm but I always feel sad that they’re stuck out there in the cold, bless them.! Thanks again for your response!

Back
Top Bottom