Bent toes

ringaring

Songster
11 Years
Jan 14, 2013
Norfolk, NY
I noticed 2 toes on one of my jersey giants are bent sideways. They are 9 wks old. The toes are not twisted, just angle left at a 45 degree angle. It walks fine, no indication of discomfort or distress, moves the toes while walking & does not appear to be due to injury. I just noticed it this week & think this might be the rooster I'm hearing. Has anyone seen a genetic defect like this? If it is genetic & this is the rooster, I don't want it passed on to any chicks. Do chickens tolerate injury to their feet well, to the point of showing no discomfort? Culling starts in 5 wks so I need to know if he will go on the list. TIA

As he is walking fine now, no evidence of difficulty I would say this is genetic as I am pretty sure if it was broken, he'd have been limping for a while. He would be on my cull list, as often times a defect in the foot, will cause excessive wear on the hen's feathers while breeding, depending on severity.

IMO, one should be very picky about a rooster, his genetics will be spread across the flock much faster than a single hen. There are a lot of roosters, keep a good one. Or if you don't have one, get a good rooster.

Mrs K

I too have seen bent toes from vitamin deficiency. I live in po-dunk-ville so I am sure the feed was ancient.

Anyway, a bunch of nutritional yeast made stuff better.

BUT, that in my book that also counts as a genetic issue since the entire flock had the same feed, but only 2 of my hens were affected. So... I guess those 2 hens had a tougher time digesting the nutrients from the feed.... or some such.

Last edited:
I noticed 2 toes on one of my jersey giants are bent sideways. They are 9 wks old. The toes are not twisted, just angle left at a 45 degree angle. It walks fine, no indication of discomfort or distress, moves the toes while walking & does not appear to be due to injury. I just noticed it this week & think this might be the rooster I'm hearing. Has anyone seen a genetic defect like this? If it is genetic & this is the rooster, I don't want it passed on to any chicks. Do chickens tolerate injury to their feet well, to the point of showing no discomfort? Culling starts in 5 wks so I need to know if he will go on the list. TIA

These slightly inwards bending toes might occur with youngsters of large breeds experiencing a growth spurt. The sinews do not grow as fast and need some time to adjust properly. Feeding them brewers yeast regularly helps to prevent and cure this condition.

Back
Top Bottom