Best Alarm Ever!!!

JackieK318

Songster
12 Years
Apr 29, 2007
Missouri
So, I've been letting my 9 hens, 1 rooster and 2 guineas free range (Sunday - Tuesday, but not Wednesday and Thursday since I was going to be at school late for orientation week
smile.png
). This morning, I open the door and go to fill the waterer. The chickens rush out the door and start squaking and flapping. The guineas dash into the woods about 30 feet away. They start carrying on. I thought, 'well, great. I gave them a taste of the outdoors and now they've gone wild'.

Nope. I come back from filling the waterer and Sicily (my roo) has rounded up the hens and put them back in the coop. The guineas are still carrying on and Sicily is keeping everyone inside. Sicily then starts ba-gawking. This went on for about 10 minutes. Then the guineas came out of the woods, back to the coop and walked the parameter of the coop. Everyone then came out to roost on the wood pile as usual.

I wonder what made them so angry. It was amazing considering I didn't hear or see anything out there. Dog just went to the bathroom a few minutes earlier and didn't notice anything. These guineas were the best investment for my flock. Now, everyone go get some awesome guineas!

What is even more amazing is that you begin to learn their different screeches and screams. There are slightly different screeches for alarms and then there is the almost identical screech for being ticked off about something.

How cool, I wish I had picked some with my order! I really love the look of them!

Back
Top Bottom