Best breed choice for 4-H?

I’d personally suggest Bantams! Such as silkies, Cochins, Old English, brahmas, or Moderns to name a few! MOST Bantams (of course, it depends on the individual bird!) are very gentle, and easy to handle!
And welcome to 4-H I’ve been in it for about 6-7 years now! Sadly, I’m approaching my last few years as a member. Your daughter will really enjoy it!
Thank you for your insight. I was in 4-H for years and loved it. I know my daughter will enjoy it too. She is a people person and loves animals so I think it would be a good fit for her.

I will see what I can find locally for silkies, Cochins and bantams. I know there is a local breeder that has silkies and they look nice. My daughter could probably handle most anything as she is a big 10 year old but I want to get her something that she likes as well as something easy to work with.

With showmanship you really want to use your most easy going and best bird. It can be any breed it just has to be calm and not flighty. Like someone said a rooster might not be a good choice unless he’s calm.

I found someone that had two silkies that she is going to give my daughter for her 4-H project. We are working on building them a small coop so they can be separated from our big girls. I don’t want them to pick on the Silkies.
That’s awesome!! Silkies are so friendly, great choice! Hope she does good with her new chickens!

Back
Top Bottom