Best breed for eggs/ backyard ?

Apr 1, 2021
What the best breed for eggs in your opinion? I have a backyard flock I have some ee, buffs, barred rocks, and red sex links. I would like to replace the red sex link at some point. And don't know what would be best.

Depends on what you want. The sex linked production hybrids are bred to produce eggs at an early age and then lay daily, but they will stop laying early as well, or at least not as frequently.
Most layer breeds lay 4-6 eggs per week, start later, but continue laying longer as well.😊

What is the case for sex linked hybrids? Obviously it’s easier to identify the hens at birth! Other than that does it get any better than white leghorns?
It depends how many eggs you really need. It's usually better to get a few more chickens than to get something that cranks out eggs, most of those breeds live only a year or two then die from egg issues.

Depends on what you want. The sex linked production hybrids are bred to produce eggs at an early age and then lay daily, but they will stop laying early as well, or at least not as frequently.
Most layer breeds lay 4-6 eggs per week, start later, but continue laying longer as well.😊
Yeah I see them primarily as pets so yeah I might avoid the sex linked crosses for those reasons.

This suggests they might choose to keep these for just one year and then make soup when they start their first molt 😬 (not cool).

Yeah I see them primarily as pets so yeah I might avoid the sex linked crosses for those reasons.

This suggests they might choose to keep these for just one year and then make soup when they start their first molt 😬 (not cool).
Actually, it is really only in the egg industry that they get switched out every 2 -3 years or so. Their egg laying ability tapers off after awhile and they are prone to health issues in relation to egg laying, but many people keep them as backyard chickens and keep them for many years without problems. 😊

Back
Top Bottom