Best Cage for Traveling?

lunagrove

Chirping
May 4, 2020
Virginia
Hi all! Not sure if this is the right thread to post under, but I am moving in a month and am trying to prep the travel of 9 adult chickens and 6 juveniles. I have limited room in my SUV and have a friend driving the moving truck for me. I am trying to use something that doesn't take up too much room, but any suggestions for travel with them would be amazing. One friend suggested rabbit cages. Any info is appreciated!

I personally would use ordinary pet carriers. The bottoms are waterproof. You don't want them packed so tightly that they'll suffer from it, but you also don't want them to be moving around too much so that they might be injured by being thrown around by vehicle maneuvers or by flapping in panic.

How long will the drive be?

If you can do it at night it might help keep the birds calm.

I personally would use ordinary pet carriers. The bottoms are waterproof. You don't want them packed so tightly that they'll suffer from it, but you also don't want them to be moving around too much so that they might be injured by being thrown around by vehicle maneuvers or by flapping in panic.

How long will the drive be?

If you can do it at night it might help keep the birds calm.
Thank you! Its a 5 hour drive... not too bad. They are all bantams- silkies and d'uccle's. I have a couple medium sized dog carriers. I also put 5 in a friends' 25" L x 20" W x 19" H rabbit cage not long after I posted this to see if they fit okay and they still had room to move and all lay down comfortably. I like that it has a pan for the bottom so they are not standing in their own feces.

Thank you! Its a 5 hour drive... not too bad. They are all bantams- silkies and d'uccle's. I have a couple medium sized dog carriers. I also put 5 in a friends' 25" L x 20" W x 19" H rabbit cage not long after I posted this to see if they fit okay and they still had room to move and all lay down comfortably. I like that it has a pan for the bottom so they are not standing in their own feces.
Sounds good.
No need to cover them, unless they get really rowdy.
Will their coop be ready to occupy upon arrival?
Best of cLuck!

Back
Top Bottom