Best commercial feed for peafowl

Jazzy_G

In the Brooder
Oct 4, 2022
I’ve tried different feeds for my peafowl and can’t settle on one I think is best. I’ve tried using Purina Flock Raiser and mixing Turkey Starter with it for more protein, and I’ve also used Naturewise Meatbird by itself since it has 22% protein. Other than higher protein, what else should I be looking for in the minimum guaranteed analysis? Opinions on best commercial feed or feed combo?

We use a 28% game bird feed. What you don't want is more than 1.5% calcium as it can be detrimental to a cocks kidney if fed year round.

Some people will advocate a lower percentage feed, but when you think about what constitutes a bird everything is made of protein, eggs, feathers, bones, and meat are all high in protein.

the honest answer is by itself there is really no commercial feed that by itself is suitable for peafowl. I start with a base of 24% gamebird pellets and add puppy kibble, koi food, pigeon grain, farmers helper ultrakibble, black oil sunflower seeds, and sometimes thawed pinky mice.

Protein is very important but what kind of protein is equally important. Soy as a protein source is not so great because it's fatty which is not a huge component of wild peas diet. This is why animal protein is so important for them as well as lean grains and leafy greens.

Back
Top Bottom