Best Dog Breed for Chicken Protector

I see that you are going to be on 14 acres; that's big enough to get a little donkey! If your biggest threat is coyotes or stray dogs, a donkey might be a better deterrent. They are very defensive against canine predators.

Quote:
oh god don't say that my mom will jump all over that idea, ever sence we have started getting the animals she keep on asking me to get a donkey
roll.png

Border Collies are great, but while it is not often we get coyotes because there are quite a few housing developments where I am at when we do get them they are HUGE and interbred with wolves. A collie wouldn't stand a chance. I am still kind of leaning towards Great Pyrenees, we had a puppy come into the shelter once and it was such a wonderful ball of fluff and relatively calm for a puppy.

Quote:
Great Pyrenese along with Maremmas and Anatolians were bred specifically as LGDs not herding dogs. Any of these, if brought into the flock as puppies would be fine with poultry. They will recognize the livestock as their "pack" and protect them as they would pack members.

if u get a donkey get a big one or standard not a mini donkey i have seen a pack of coyotes tear apart a mini donkey not what u want

also if coyotes and dogs are ur problem do not get a jack russel or any small breed my friends jack russel who was an expert rat killer got carried off by a coyote

Last edited:
Our Australian Shepherd protects our girls without our having trained him to do so- kind of like he just figured out they were important to us and he appointed himself their guardian. (They say if you don't give them a job they will make one up for themselves.) He even sussed out a Coopers Hawk that was lurking around- he was barkiing like crazy and when I let him out he went straight for where the hawk was perched and chased it away!

Back
Top Bottom