Best door in chicken nest coop to keep out wild birds.

rosemarythyme, thankyou for your reply. We call it birdmesh here, but it’s quite expensive to use for the size of my chook run which is already covered with chicken wire which the sparrows and black birds fly straight through. But I may think about shade mesh which would do the job and be much cheaper. Regards veb:frow
Chicken wire will not keep any predators out. Depending on the predators you have, I suggest covering at least the bottom half with the bird mesh. I wouldnt cover the entire run with the shade mesh, chickens love to sun bathe. Bird netting is fairly cheap (at least in the US, not sure about Australia) and fairly easy to attach.

rosemarythyme, thankyou for your reply. We call it birdmesh here, but it’s quite expensive to use for the size of my chook run which is already covered with chicken wire which the sparrows and black birds fly straight through. But I may think about shade mesh which would do the job and be much cheaper. Regards veb:frow
Chicken wire will not keep any predators out. Depending on the predators you have, I suggest covering at least the bottom half with the bird mesh. I wouldnt cover the entire run with the shade mesh, chickens love to sun bathe. Bird netting is fairly cheap (at least in the US, not sure about Australia) and fairly easy to attach.
The only predator here in southern nsw Australia, are foxes where we live and our coop is totally safe from them. The roof and all the walls in the run are secure. I wouldn’t cover the whole run with shade cloth only part. To keep out the wild feral introduced birds which carry lice and mites. At the moment after bush fires, flood etc we now have a plague of mice. which we are keeping under control. My silkies free range when I’m in the paddock to make sure their not attacked by Currawongs etc. Their house is secure accept for the little dog like door with ribbons etc to try and deter the sparrows to no avail. They manage to fly in eat the chook food etc. they madly fly out when I open the door. To redo the run which is quite large with birdproof wire including the top as well as the sides would be quite expensive. My silkies love to dirt bath in the paddock. Thankyou for replying appreciated. Veb

C18F5980-EBB5-4A16-B2B2-E44A2435DBAA.jpeg

Attachments

• EF4225F5-98CE-4746-B051-0A29208B2082.jpeg
    EF4225F5-98CE-4746-B051-0A29208B2082.jpeg
    847 KB · Views: 2
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/dalen-deer-x-protective-netting?cm_vc=-10005

I'm suggesting something like this. It's not predator proof but you can put it over your chicken wire, it will keep the birds out, and it's much cheaper. I know it's a pain. It I promise, ots something you want to do. My flock was tecently.infected with MG. It's a lifelong respiratory disease that now prevents me from.ever adding to my flock until these girls are just gone. Wild birds can spread this disease (along with so many others). I'm being responsible and locked down my coop.and run so wild birds cannot.get in (I dont want to infect anyone elses flock) but some people still allow their infected flocks to free range, have open runs ect.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/dalen-deer-x-protective-netting?cm_vc=-10005

I'm suggesting something like this. It's not predator proof but you can put it over your chicken wire, it will keep the birds out, and it's much cheaper. I know it's a pain. It I promise, ots something you want to do. My flock was tecently.infected with MG. It's a lifelong respiratory disease that now prevents me from.ever adding to my flock until these girls are just gone. Wild birds can spread this disease (along with so many others). I'm being responsible and locked down my coop.and run so wild birds cannot.get in (I dont want to infect anyone elses flock) but some people still allow their infected flocks to free range, have open runs ect.
MG sounds horrible, I’ll have to read up on this. Pretty sure my little silkies don’t have respiratory disease. Wouldn’t want them to get it though. Thanks mamatoomany.

Back
Top Bottom