Best times to free range and keep your grass green

In the fall if I fill the tractor w fallen leaves and leave the door open the girls will scratch and reduce those leaves to leaf Mulch inNo time at all. One good day scratching and they are half the volume

In the fall if I fill the tractor w fallen leaves and leave the door open the girls will scratch and reduce those leaves to leaf Mulch inNo time at all. One good day scratching and they are half the volume
Omigosh- I believe it!!
They literally have the time of their lives in those leaves 🍁; Don’t they?!! — We grab as many leaves as we can and our neighbors will help us by bringing us their fall leaves well…

We still require Crop Cover seeds to help replace our garden grass

Hello! I am struggling with dead grass as well. I have 9 chickens in a fenced and netted 1200+ sq ft free range area and a 100 sq ft run. They killed all the grass in 1 year🤯 fortunately some of the more durable native grasses and plants have survived this far.

I just seeded and covered with cloth some native grass and short native prairie plants to see if I can get them to grow. I’ll have to keep up tremendously with the seeding and covering and this seed is expensive.
Are the seeds recommended here a more hardy grass? Would it spread to my native no mow grass I’m trying to grow outside their area? Would I just keep reseeding in the fall and spring? How do you keep the girls from eating all the seeds?
They pace the fence all day trying to get to the only patch of grass in the lawn, because they, with the help of my dogs, killed the rest. I’m currently reseeding and trying to grow in sections. They killed all the grass along their fence line too. I am at a total loss and frustrated.

Although it breaks my heart to see them trying to get out to the area they used to have access to all day every day. I have to have a poop free and grass filled zone for my son to have friends over and us to enjoy. I don’t think they are in too small of an area since it also includes a leaf composting area, firewood storage area, trees to lay under, 2 large dust bathing areas, benches, logs, tables, and tree limbs to sit on or under.

BUT most importantly no more mud and chicken poop filled yard for the dogs to keep bringing in the house!!! It is driving me mad!!!!
Please let me know this can be achieved.

Back
Top Bottom