Best to feed gosling

Ourgosling22

Songster
Mar 20, 2022
Central texas
Hi everyone
I decided to get a couple of goslings to join my single goose who has been aggressive. Also have 6 ducks in the herd. Nothing else was working a whole lot. Some members suggested adding another goose for it. Want to be on a good start so I’m second guessing what I’m feeding the babies. Please give me your feedback on what I’m doing. I’m currently feeding them flock raiser crumbles and putting electrolytes in their water. Should I add nutritional yeast to their feed? There’s also suggestion in other q and a’s about the chick starter grower feed. Which should I be giving them? I’m guessing they are about 2-3 weeks old if that.

Flock raiser is just fine. You can add nutritional yeast if you feel like there is a vitamin deficiency but if not it’s unnecessary.

Chick start doesn’t have enough niacin and other B vitamins for waterfowl so I would not get that.

The goslings won’t make your gander less aggressive towards you, one on one interaction over time can improve his behavior.
The goslings could help though, if they bond with you their relaxed behavior can encourage him to be more chill. If they don’t bond with you they’ll learn from him that you aren’t part of their flock and this will exasperate your current issue.

Flock raiser is just fine. You can add nutritional yeast if you feel like there is a vitamin deficiency but if not it’s unnecessary.

Chick start doesn’t have enough niacin and other B vitamins for waterfowl so I would not get that.

The goslings won’t make your gander less aggressive towards you, one on one interaction over time can improve his behavior.
The goslings could help though, if they bond with you their relaxed behavior can encourage him to be more chill. If they don’t bond with you they’ll learn from him that you aren’t part of their flock and this will exasperate your current issue.
Hi-no I didn’t get the new babies for me. Someone had suggested it might help my single goose having one of his kind in the herd. What seems to divert his aggression is when I see him really trying to come after me I pick him up and walk with him along with the ducks to a more neutral area to divert his attention. He’s making noise but calms a bit it seems. Don’t know if doing that is a good idea but I try not to do it often, only when he’s really charging. One thing I’ve been doing more is letting them free range outside of their run. I take their cue on what they seem to need as long as it’s safe for them.
I am trying to bond with the babies but they are so skittish for some reason. I show my face and talk pretty often. I’m not giving up. They seem to be doing ok so if just doing flock raiser is enough I will not add the nutritional yeast at this time.

Hi-no I didn’t get the new babies for me. Someone had suggested it might help my single goose having one of his kind in the herd. What seems to divert his aggression is when I see him really trying to come after me I pick him up and walk with him along with the ducks to a more neutral area to divert his attention. He’s making noise but calms a bit it seems. Don’t know if doing that is a good idea but I try not to do it often, only when he’s really charging. One thing I’ve been doing more is letting them free range outside of their run. I take their cue on what they seem to need as long as it’s safe for them.
I am trying to bond with the babies but they are so skittish for some reason. I show my face and talk pretty often. I’m not giving up. They seem to be doing ok so if just doing flock raiser is enough I will not add the nutritional yeast at this time.
Sounds like you’re doing everything right.
If you’re in the northern hemisphere it’s also breeding season for geese so he’s going to be more aggressive than usual, unfortunately it can’t really be helped and you’ll have to remind him to behave more often but it does get better.

Sounds like you’re doing everything right.
If you’re in the northern hemisphere it’s also breeding season for geese so he’s going to be more aggressive than usual, unfortunately it can’t really be helped and you’ll have to remind him to behave more often but it does get better.
Ok thank you! We’re in central Texas and i know you can only do so much. But it’s no fun having a mean goose. Lol
Thanks again.

For goslings, I really like the Mazuri waterfowl starter. I had tractor supply order a bag for me and for both ducklings and goslings, there was less waste. You can add a bit of water and the food floats. When it gets water logged it turns into mini spongy pieces. Plus it has the extra niacin. I later switch them over to all-flock.
As mentioned, ganders are getting testy right now due to hormones. Just watch whatever other birds you add to the mix to make sure no one gets hurt.
I'd look on craigslist and see if anyone has adult birds for sale. I just sold 4 of mine a few weeks back to someone who was looking for additional birds to add to their flock. If you could find one or two 12 month old + females your gander would be a very happy boy!!!!

For goslings, I really like the Mazuri waterfowl starter. I had tractor supply order a bag for me and for both ducklings and goslings, there was less waste. You can add a bit of water and the food floats. When it gets water logged it turns into mini spongy pieces. Plus it has the extra niacin. I later switch them over to all-flock.
As mentioned, ganders are getting testy right now due to hormones. Just watch whatever other birds you add to the mix to make sure no one gets hurt.
I'd look on craigslist and see if anyone has adult birds for sale. I just sold 4 of mine a few weeks back to someone who was looking for additional birds to add to their flock. If you could find one or two 12 month old + females your gander would be a very happy boy!!!!
Hi-thank you for your suggestions! It seems like my goose has a long standing problem with its hormones! I did look for mazuri feed late last year at tsc for my ducks and goose but if I remember correctly it wasn’t the one for waterfowl that I was looking for. If I do go that route some day I will have to have it ordered. I have my older goose and the ducks on all flock as well.
Ironically I did check on craigslist for another goose but haven’t really seen anything that enticed me-honestly I don’t know what I’m looking for. I’ve been finding goose sized eggs in the coop so I was figuring it was from her and then she must be a girl. At the risk of sounding like a idiot-if they are hers how is she laying eggs with no mate?
I will be doing more reading on how to introduce the babies to the flock when they get bigger and ready to be put outside. Thanks again!

If there are eggs and they are huge compared to duck eggs, you can be 100% certain that your lone goose is a girl. I asked someone at Tractor Supply to order the Mazuri. It's not a big deal really.

Last year one of my female geese decided to "adopt" 4 goslings that I hatched in the incubator. She became very protective of them and still has a special bond with them. Check around then for goslings, get a few, do a thorough search on raising geese with this website, take notes, and you can't go wrong. There is SOOO much amazing info here on BYC! Have fun!!!!

If there are eggs and they are huge compared to duck eggs, you can be 100% certain that your lone goose is a girl. I asked someone at Tractor Supply to order the Mazuri. It's not a big deal really.

Last year one of my female geese decided to "adopt" 4 goslings that I hatched in the incubator. She became very protective of them and still has a special bond with them. Check around then for goslings, get a few, do a thorough search on raising geese with this website, take notes, and you can't go wrong. There is SOOO much amazing info here on BYC! Have fun!!!!

Yes thank you! I joined last March I think and if I can’t find answers I’m looking for I get on BYC😊I love this forum-everyone is so helpful, insightful and just a fount of information.

Back
Top Bottom