Best way to give chicken medicine? Please help

Chikenshiken

Songster
Feb 1, 2023
My 3 year old hen I suspect has sour crop and has lost most of her appetite and I’m struggling to hide medicine in food she’s not willing to eat. I’m giving her liquid vaginal yeast medication and it’s incredibly hard to give it to her straight but she’s not accepting it in food anymore. Besides hiding it in food, what’s the best way to get her to eat the medicine?

My 3 year old hen I suspect has sour crop and has lost most of her appetite and I’m struggling to hide medicine in food she’s not willing to eat. I’m giving her liquid vaginal yeast medication and it’s incredibly hard to give it to her straight but she’s not accepting it in food anymore. Besides hiding it in food, what’s the best way to get her to eat the medicine?
you can force feed her the medicine, I usually do it with pills or water when they are sick, if it is a liquid take it in a syringe and put it deep enough into her mouth so the liquid goes directly down her throat and then give her it. Do it fast as it’s not the most comfortable thing for the hen😊

you can force feed her the medicine, I usually do it with pills or water when they are sick, if it is a liquid take it in a syringe and put it deep enough into her mouth so the liquid goes directly down her throat and then give her it. Do it fast as it’s not the most comfortable thing for the hen😊
Thank you, are you sure she won’t choke? I’ve been afraid of doing that just because I don’t want to do it super fast and shoot it straight to the back of her throat

Thank you, are you sure she won’t choke? I’ve been afraid of doing that just because I don’t want to do it super fast and shoot it straight to the back of her throat
Before you do this, search for "tube feeding." You will need some tubing and a syringe.

I'll try to find my info, but in case I don't, you can look through information here on BYC.

I’m giving her liquid vaginal yeast medication and it’s incredibly hard to give it to her straight but she’s not accepting it in food anymore.
Which type of medicine do you mean by "liquid"? Cream? Suppository?

When my hen had sour crop (similar situation; she refused to eat), I put the cream on my finger and she ate it off. When I switched to suppository (the meds needed to be stronger because it was a bad case of infection), I just chopped up the pieces and she ate them out of my hand. I found she liked the cream better than the suppository.

Back
Top Bottom