Best way to repot a Succulent?

Oncoming Storm

Crowing
Jun 3, 2019
Last Christmas, my mom bought me a little succulent because my money tree died of root rot and I actually enjoyed having a little plant in the house. She has her 39 yo life plant (yes the plant it actually 39 years old!) so it’s nice to have my own little plant. Well my succulent baby has grown significantly and needs to be moved to a bigger pot. Is there a “right” way to do this? I know the basics of planting since my Nana basically houses a botanical garden and my mom and I will plant veggies in the spring, but I’ve never repotted a plant. What’s the best way to do this without completely throwing the succulent into shock?

What type of succulent? Many enjoy being pot bound.

It's important to re-pot in the correct season. Generally the opposite of when it's growing or flowering. Generally it's best to try to not disturb the roots too much when re-potting, only roughing them up and trimming if they are extremely pot bound.

Most succulent die from over watering. So make sure the pot isn't too large so the roots can dry out well between watering.

0442F4BE-91CB-4082-9997-5704445AFCEC.png

One of these. I don’t know what they’re called since the places that sell them don’t exactly label them by species. I figured this would be the beginning of the off season since it’s getting colder outside but this type doesn’t exactly give you many clues other than suddenly being larger than you remember XD.

Back
Top Bottom