Bird Flu in Dairy Cattle

The advised precautions are basic bio-security!
1. do not free range your birds
2. keep their run covered with something impermeable, like a tarp
3. Have dedicated shoes that you only wear in the coop/run. Keep them in the coop/run and change shoes at the threshold every time.
4. Keep the wild birds out of your run
5. Keep outsiders out of your run and coop. If they must come in, then they need dedicated shoes as well.
6. Always wear a mask when you clean your coop and run. The dust from dried chicken droppings can cause potentially fatal diseases in humans besides the h5n1 virus.

Thanks. I’ve been doing all that except the last one. I turn the deep litter daily but haven’t always masked during. What other diseases can dried 💩 carry that I need to know about?

Birds and their droppings can carry over 60 diseases

This link above is a quick reference. You can find more info on each by a google search. A family member of one of my mother's friends had kept pigeons for years, and then came down with a lung ailment one day (which he ultimately died from). They determined it came from inhaling the dried pigeon droppings (he never wore a mask). That was how I learned about this issue.

Histoplasmosis is the most concerning: Histoplasmosis - Mayo Clinic

"Histoplasmosis is caused by the reproductive cells (spores) of the fungus Histoplasma capsulatum. They float into the air when dirt or other material is disturbed.

The fungus thrives in damp soil that's rich in organic material, especially the droppings from birds and bats. It's particularly common in chicken and pigeon coops, old barns, caves, and parks."

Back
Top Bottom