Bird flu in Washington?!?!

Oct 14, 2021
Western Washington
We just found out that bird flu is in Washington! We are going to get three seramas (they are from a show) but with flu should we still get them? And what can we do to keep our flock from getting it? If our flock gets bird flu, will we need to kill them all?

Where did you hear there was a case in Washington State? I have been checking the news and the closest I've seen is Vancouver, British Columbia.

I would keep your chickens in a covered run, enclosed so no wild birds can enter (covered on top so wild birds' poop can't land in there). Free roaming your chickens really ups their chances of getting sick right now. DEFINITELY don't wear your feed store shoes anywhere NEAR where the chickens are.

We've always had had separate "at home" yard/chicken shoes, just cheap gardening clogs we can slip on that we never wear out past our property. I'm now upping this to confining the birds completely and we'll be using slip on disposable booties for going in to the coop/run.

Add herbal ingredients that are proven to stimulate the immune response, and either prevent or lessen the symptoms of viral outbreaks like elderberries, lemon balm, echinacea, licorice root, spilanthes & boneset flowers etc: administer as a decoction (boil for 20 mins things like seeds, bark & roots); or an infusion (steep in near boiling water for 20 mins leaves and flowers) and put in the chicken's water supply.

Back
Top Bottom