Biters

WA_RN

Songster
May 11, 2020
NW WA
I'm at a loss on what to do with my 10 month old Amberlink named Della who bites HARD. She doesn't peck, she straight out bites. She was my favorite chick and the friendliest of the 6 but now she is sort of a terror. She just walks up and bites my ankles,my boots, through my pants, my arms, my coat. If I'm sitting she will jump up next to me and bite my arms or jump up on the chair behind me and bite the back of my head and neck. If we are cleaning out the run or coop she supervises and if I turn away I get bit. I thought she wanted attention so I've tried picking her up and carrying her around. I've tried holding her down until she submits. I've tried pecking her back with my fingers and she looks startled but then immediately walks up and bites me again. I don't hand feed treats. They free range during the day and have plenty of room in the coop and enclosed run. Why is she doing this? Is it too late to break her of it?

I'm at a loss on what to do with my 10 month old Amberlink named Della who bites HARD. She doesn't peck, she straight out bites. She was my favorite chick and the friendliest of the 6 but now she is sort of a terror. She just walks up and bites my ankles,my boots, through my pants, my arms, my coat. If I'm sitting she will jump up next to me and bite my arms or jump up on the chair behind me and bite the back of my head and neck. If we are cleaning out the run or coop she supervises and if I turn away I get bit. I thought she wanted attention so I've tried picking her up and carrying her around. I've tried holding her down until she submits. I've tried pecking her back with my fingers and she looks startled but then immediately walks up and bites me again. I don't hand feed treats. They free range during the day and have plenty of room in the coop and enclosed run. Why is she doing this? Is it too late to break her of it?
When you peck her back and she looks startled you started on the right track but didn't finish. You need to keep pecking her back pretty hard (not hard enough to actually hurt her) but just until you drive her off. She needs to run away from you, not just look startled. Do it every time.
With a rooster you can see when he is going to attack by his body posture and the look on his face. If you can tell she is about to peck you, head her off at the pass and peck her hard and fast first. She'll get the point soon enough. You can worry about relationship repair later after you let her know that you are not going to put up with her sassiness any longer.

@DobieLover hit the nail(chicken?) on the head!
I'll add my spiel too.
I peck them back, on the head or anywhere I can reach, with the tips of thumb and first 2 fingers, as hard and fast as many times as I can before they get away. Well, not hard enough to hurt them, just startle them and let them you mean business. That's what another chicken would do, so they understand that kind of communication.

If that doesn't work after a couple applications, I hold them down to the ground with my hand on their back until they submit....again firmly enough to get the job done but not hurt them....add a few finger pecks and/or tug on the feathers on the back of their neck.

She was the boldest chick, and 'friendly' is what you saw at the time. She will respond to the above advice, and likely try again at times, because she doesn't think you really mean it so far.
I have one like this, one of my 2020 pullets, and she still has moments when it's just worth trying again. Still. I didn't sell her, because I didn't want small children, or novice chicken keepers, to deal with her.
And I wear shoes or boots and jeans all year, never shorts or sandals, when I'm out at the coop.
If she's really not someone you want to deal with, you could move her on elsewhere, with full disclosure.
Mary

When you peck her back and she looks startled you started on the right track but didn't finish. You need to keep pecking her back pretty hard (not hard enough to actually hurt her) but just until you drive her off. She needs to run away from you, not just look startled. Do it every time.
With a rooster you can see when he is going to attack by his body posture and the look on his face. If you can tell she is about to peck you, head her off at the pass and peck her hard and fast first. She'll get the point soon enough. You can worry about relationship repair later after you let her know that you are not going to put up with her sassiness any longer.
Thanks! I'm going to give that a try. My pecks thus far have probably not conveyed I mean business.
@DobieLover hit the nail(chicken?) on the head!
I'll add my spiel too.
I peck them back, on the head or anywhere I can reach, with the tips of thumb and first 2 fingers, as hard and fast as many times as I can before they get away. Well, not hard enough to hurt them, just startle them and let them you mean business. That's what another chicken would do, so they understand that kind of communication.

If that doesn't work after a couple applications, I hold them down to the ground with my hand on their back until they submit....again firmly enough to get the job done but not hurt them....add a few finger pecks and/or tug on the feathers on the back of their neck.
Thanks for the advice and sharing your technique! Since holding her to the ground hasn't worked I'm going to add some pecks and feather tugs.
She was the boldest chick, and 'friendly' is what you saw at the time. She will respond to the above advice, and likely try again at times, because she doesn't think you really mean it so far.
I have one like this, one of my 2020 pullets, and she still has moments when it's just worth trying again. Still. I didn't sell her, because I didn't want small children, or novice chicken keepers, to deal with her.
And I wear shoes or boots and jeans all year, never shorts or sandals, when I'm out at the coop.
If she's really not someone you want to deal with, you could move her on elsewhere, with full disclosure.
Mary
Thanks for sharing! She's not bad enough yet for me to consider getting rid of her. Her eggs are huge and daily. I definitely don't want her biting one of my grandkids though. I've not been able to tell yet by watching the flock interact who the head hen is but my suspicion, based on her behavior, is it may be her. We call her "The Supervisor" because she's always right there overseeing everything.

Attachments

• 20201027_164656.jpg
    20201027_164656.jpg
    434 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom