Biting hen

AggieKat

Chirping
May 3, 2021
DFW area Texas
Hey all,

I have a problem hen and I don’t know what else to do about her except get rid of her at this point. She is a year old Crested Cream Legbar which generally are supposed to be friendly. She was friendly as a chick and teen and let me hold her and was my favorite. Fast forward to when all my four hens started laying and she was at the bottom of the pecking order. She started charging me like a rooster, fluffing up and doing the karate kicks and trying to peck and bite me.
Ive tried carrying her around when I’m out there, holding her down in submission, and trying to hold my ground or carrying a stick. Nothing has worked. She bites the hell out of my feet and ankles and my hands if I reach down to do feed or get another bird to do a health check.

Any advice? I’m tired of getting scarred and bruised by this rude ass hen.

Attachments

• E94F6DD8-B4D3-4D3E-89BC-80457EEE0DF7.jpeg
    E94F6DD8-B4D3-4D3E-89BC-80457EEE0DF7.jpeg
    438.8 KB · Views: 20
I have chickens because I enjoy chickens. I would not enjoy that. In my experience, this just ruins it. Cull her, if you can't eat her, bury her and plant a rosebush.

Or give her to someone else to do with as they need to.

Just because you had a bird that was working out, when they no longer work out, you need to adjust the flock.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom