Black Australorp acting sick - Tail down and struggling to walk

chickielemons

Hatching
Apr 3, 2024
I have a black australorp hen (3 years 10 months) who recently started acting sick. She struggles to walk and her tail is always down. I’ve noticed she’s almost limping, so I checked her for bumblefoot and her feet are perfectly healthy. She’s still eating and drinking regularly and she is not egg bound as she has not laid for around three months. Her droppings are normal and solid, but I noticed a slight wheeze in the past few days. I’m not sure what to do to help her—do I provide more calcium or vitamin supplements? Our two other hens have not been picking on her and they all socialize normally. This is my first time raising chickens, and I am inexperienced when it comes to determining their health issues.

Welcome To BYC

I'm sorry no one replied, I'm just now seeing your thread.

How is your hen doing?

You mention she's eating/drinking normally, but she's acting a bit droopy and hasn't laid an egg in a few months.

Does she have any bloat or fluid in the abdomen? She may be starting to have some reproductive problems which can be common in laying hens. Cancer, EYP, Internal Laying, Salpingitis, etc.

The wheeze is a bit of a concern, check to make sure her crop is emptying overnight. IF she does have fluid in the abdomen, this can cause a wheeze like sound as well.

It's great she's still able to interact with her flock, often separation when not feeling the best can cause more stress, so if she's doing o.k. with her friends, I'd leave her with them.

Vitamins won't hurt to be given for a few days to see if they add a boost.

Sounds like she could have a Mycoplasma gallisepticum infection. If you have/could locate a vet who can examine her, take the appropriate biological sample from her and submit it for testing you could find out if she has MG. This would be important going forward re: antibiotic administration and managing your flock. Ask me how I know.....:(

Back
Top Bottom