Black Australorp or Welsummers?

I would spend hours reading through the emergency section.

There is not one particular article that I can think of right now.

Just by you mentioning that some chicken man was willing to take a bird back and offer you another makes the red flag go up.

Is a good way to spread disease...assuming is done this before or offers to take birds back from other people too.

So it's not so much about a bird's age. It's about where the bird comes from.
Oh right, that makes sense. I understand your concern.

He is going to take back the roo and give me a refund. He doesn't sell older birds. He does have his own farm. But, he only sell chicks. I will ask him what will happen with my Jess. Because, I feel terrible having to give him up. He is going to be so confused as this is his flock and now he's being taken away.... awful. :barnie I'm so sad.

I'm not sure if you are aware of how easily chicken disease is spread. I'd highly recommend not ever bringing an older bird home.
Not just older birds. I've raised poultry for decades and never had sick chickens until I brought in outside chicks. A few years ago I bought day old chicks from a person I thought was reputable, and suddenly I had several sick adult birds on my hands...birds that I'd hatched out years prior that had never been sick a day in their life...and ended up losing some. Took the best part of two years to clear it up. Ever since then I've only bought eggs and hatch out myself. So if you do bring in outside birds, please quarantine - quarantine - quarantine!

Not just older birds. I've raised poultry for decades and never had sick chickens until I brought in outside chicks. A few years ago I bought day old chicks from a person I thought was reputable, and suddenly I had several sick adult birds on my hands...birds that I'd hatched out years prior that had never been sick a day in their life...and ended up losing some. Took the best part of two years to clear it up. Ever since then I've only bought eggs and hatch out myself. So if you do bring in outside birds, please quarantine - quarantine - quarantine!
You are correct. I personally will never buy from a random person no matter the age.
I will only buy chicks from a major hatchery.

Yes, disease aspects aside, you would need to consider your priorities and choose what works best for you and your existing flock.

Temperament can come down to the bird I think, because I have a couple Aussies that like being held and a couple who are just not having it, same as my Wellies. Seems to me like amongst them both, there are a mix of more or less "friendly" birds and I wouldn't have known which was which just based on breed alone. There are one of each who most like to sit and be petted and that topmost is an Australorp, I think. It's a tough call! Lol So as far as that goes, I don't think you can go wrong either way, as long as you personally pick the bird, if that's what's most important to you.

Looks wise, if you like the contrast of the Welsummer with your Copper Marans, that sounds nice to me too, or if you wanted another slightly different black bird (Australorps have a beetle green sheen and ideally no red / copper), then you can appreciate their more subtle differences. Up to you!

For your basket, I don't know what else you have, but the Welsummer eggs are very pretty, often speckled, and very dark, but not as dark as your BCM, where Australorp eggs will be a nice classic light brown. I personally look forward to having the whole range in my flock, but the Welsummer eggs are very unique.

Yes, disease aspects aside, you would need to consider your priorities and choose what works best for you and your existing flock.

Temperament can come down to the bird I think, because I have a couple Aussies that like being held and a couple who are just not having it, same as my Wellies. Seems to me like amongst them both, there are a mix of more or less "friendly" birds and I wouldn't have known which was which just based on breed alone. There are one of each who most like to sit and be petted and that topmost is an Australorp, I think. It's a tough call! Lol So as far as that goes, I don't think you can go wrong either way, as long as you personally pick the bird, if that's what's most important to you.

Looks wise, if you like the contrast of the Welsummer with your Copper Marans, that sounds nice to me too, or if you wanted another slightly different black bird (Australorps have a beetle green sheen and ideally no red / copper), then you can appreciate their more subtle differences. Up to you!

For your basket, I don't know what else you have, but the Welsummer eggs are very pretty, often speckled, and very dark, but not as dark as your BCM, where Australorp eggs will be a nice classic light brown. I personally look forward to having the whole range in my flock, but the Welsummer eggs are very unique.
Thank you very much! 😊
I have one of each. Barred Rock, Speckled Sussex, Black Copper Maran, Easter Egger, Buff & Light Brahma, Cream Legbar, & Silver Laced Wyandotte.

Back
Top Bottom