Black/Chocolate over Lavender??

LaChue Farm

In the Brooder
Jan 24, 2022
In short:
I have an extra chocolate rooster (not split to black). I also have a black split to chocolate rooster. And of course I have a few lavender hens with no matching rooster. I’m trying to understand these color genetics but I’m struggling a little bit. I used the chicken calculator and even for putting chocolate over lavender (which I know makes mauve) it’s saying they will be black with brown duckwings🤦🏼‍♀️.

Bottom line: should I just trash the lavenders? The hens have great bodies but their feathers are terrible! They are the result of breeding for color and not caring about feather quality. I was hoping I could improve them a little bit, but I can’t even find a NICE lavender rooster to go over them. But I do have those two rooster mentioned above and they are really nice. Thanks 🙏🏽

Attachments

• 924C41D5-FC97-402B-AEF5-9970DB92786E.jpeg
    924C41D5-FC97-402B-AEF5-9970DB92786E.jpeg
    829.7 KB · Views: 39
  • 505F86BC-3BC4-49C0-87F7-16EA3DD1D0FD.jpeg
    505F86BC-3BC4-49C0-87F7-16EA3DD1D0FD.jpeg
    511.4 KB · Views: 15
Chocolate and blue make mauve not chocolate and lavender.
Lavender is recessive so it takes getting a copy of the gene from both sides to show.
Chocolate is sex linked.
Chocolate rooster over lavender hens will give you Chocolate split to lavender pullets and black split to Chocolate split to lavender cockerels.
Black split to Chocolate rooster over lavender hens will give you Chocolate split to lavender and black split to lavender pullets. Black split to Chocolate split to lavender and black split to lavender cockerels.

Back
Top Bottom