Black foot and skin falling off

Chicluv

Hatching
Mar 12, 2024
One of my roos "Rocky" got in a couple of fights the other day. After separating them Rocky seemed injured because he wasn't standing. After inspection his foot looked swollen and started turning black all the way into his nails. I soaked his foot in Epsom salt bath several times. Swelling seemed to be going down but a little drainage from in between his toes started yesterday. Also a couple of his toes looked silver. Today I see inside his toe looks like bone is showing. He's eating and drinking well. I need help on antibiotics to use and do I put him in a sling?

IMG_20240424_124422658_HDR.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20240424_124422658_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240424_124422658_HDR.jpg
    386.8 KB · Views: 3
One of my roos "Rocky" got in a couple of fights the other day. After separating them Rocky seemed injured because he wasn't standing. After inspection his foot looked swollen and started turning black all the way into his nails. I soaked his foot in Epsom salt bath several times. Swelling seemed to be going down but a little drainage from in between his toes started yesterday. Also a couple of his toes looked silver. Today I see inside his toe looks like bone is showing. He's eating and drinking well. I need help on antibiotics to use and do I put him in a sling?
Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've also applied vetericyn & giving aspirin. It is starting to smell. Pictures are loaded.

Don't
Can you post some pictures?
Yes
Can you post some pictures?
Yes they are uploaded

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've also applied vetericyn & giving aspirin. It is starting to smell. Pictures are loaded.

Is there any way you could see a vet or farm vet so that you could get antibiotics and care. Clindamycin would be a good one where the bone is exposed. Soaking in warm water with Betadine povidone iodine or chlorhexidene/Hibiclens disinfect would be good. After drying I would apply Neosporin Ointment twice a day. But an open wound like this with bone exposure would be best treated by a vet. There may be death of some of the toes or part of the foot. When I have seen frostbite that turns the toes black, they may auto amputate. But since this is open to the bone, infection could spread. Hopefully others may have suggestions.

As far a chicken sling, it would,depend on if he fights it or if he would stay in one. You can place food and water in front of the sling, and you can remove him for periods of rest. Here are some examples:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

Is there any way you could see a vet or farm vet so that you could get antibiotics and care. Clindamycin would be a good one where the bone is exposed. Soaking in warm water with Betadine povidone iodine or chlorhexidene/Hibiclens disinfect would be good. After drying I would apply Neosporin Ointment twice a day. But an open wound like this with bone exposure would be best treated by a vet. There may be death of some of the toes or part of the foot. When I have seen frostbite that turns the toes black, they may auto amputate. But since this is open to the bone, infection could spread. Hopefully others may have suggestions.

As far a chicken sling, it would,depend on if he fights it or if he would stay in one. You can place food and water in front of the sling, and you can remove him for periods of rest. Here are some examples:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

Seems I'm double posting
Hopefully I'll figure this out.
Thank you so very much for all the info. I'm so grateful and praying for a miracle.

Back
Top Bottom