Black jersey Giant/Australorp cross for dual purpose?

sbutler12025

Chirping
May 28, 2021
I was wondering how a black jersey Giant x black Australorp might fare as a meat bird. I am thinking about raising some of next springs chicks from my black jersey Giant rooster and my Australorp hens to process towards the fall season. I just wondered how they might do as a meat bird.
I don't mind that they take awhile to fill out, it's more about how much they will actually fill out that has me questioning.

I think the chicks with yellow under their feet will be bigger than the ones with pink under their feet. You may need another pairing like Jersey Giant and Plymouth Rock and then mate the babies to the other babies from the Australorp and Jersey Giant pairing.

Jersey Giant rooster paired with Australorp hen for AB parent stock.
Plymouth Rock rooster paired with Jersey Giant hen for CD parent stock.
Select the heaviest birds for the AB/CD hybrid pairing.

Last edited:
Our huuuge BJG rooster fathered several chicks, and we kept 2 females. The mom of one was EE, the other mom was BCM. The female BJG that we also had in the flock was a very large bird, but not as large as the BJG male. Mentioning her for comparison. The mom EE was a regular size, but a bit trim. The BCM mom was a bit larger than avg for a regular sized bird.

the two female chicks (with yellow feet bottoms and all black) are now full grown and larger than average, and they have the more round/full body shape of a BJG. However, they are not nearly as big as the female BJG.

having butchered male BJG, they have a lot of meat at 20 weeks, with a large frame. When we have butchered males of other breeds at 20 weeks, the carcasses are smaller, some worth the effort, some hardly worth the effort. So, mating largest female to largest male and hatching those eggs is best bet for a good carcass at butcher time.

Our huuuge BJG rooster fathered several chicks, and we kept 2 females. The mom of one was EE, the other mom was BCM. The female BJG that we also had in the flock was a very large bird, but not as large as the BJG male. Mentioning her for comparison. The mom EE was a regular size, but a bit trim. The BCM mom was a bit larger than avg for a regular sized bird.

the two female chicks (with yellow feet bottoms and all black) are now full grown and larger than average, and they have the more round/full body shape of a BJG. However, they are not nearly as big as the female BJG.

having butchered male BJG, they have a lot of meat at 20 weeks, with a large frame. When we have butchered males of other breeds at 20 weeks, the carcasses are smaller, some worth the effort, some hardly worth the effort. So, mating largest female to largest male and hatching those eggs is best bet for a good carcass at butcher time.
Thank you so much for the detailed info! Two of my black australorps are fairly small but one is filling out quite nicely so far, easily at least a pound heavier than the others and one of my BJG hens is nearly as large as the rooster! She's a big girl. I may try to start with them and see where that takes me.

Back
Top Bottom