Black Penedesenca Hatching Eggs

Pics
Sorry to kind of hijack this thread, I'm just wondering if you know of any breeders of Crele Penedesencas that are located in MO, OK, AR, TX....or anywhere, really. I'm not super picky. I really want some of this breed and just LOVE the crele variety for the autosexing trait! So how bout it, @ChickenCanoe ? Know anyone that could help me? I'm looking for hatching eggs, preferably. Shipping on chicks is just so expensive. I'd be willing to pay for it though, if that's the only way I can get them. Thanks in advance!

View attachment 1337531

View attachment 1337528

View attachment 1337534
View attachment 1337537

Hatching eggs from my flocks of this extremely rare breed.
The eggs will come in the special foam egg shippers pictured above.
Shipping and foam cost for up to 25 eggs is $20 in the continental US.
Eggs are $4 each up to 15 eggs. 16-25 eggs are $3.50 each.
I will need about 3 days advance notice to collect eggs for you depending on how many you want.

Penedesencas are not yet in the APA.
All four varieties, (Black, Crele, Partridge, Wheaten) as well as White Empordanesa were imported into the US around 2000.
The two breeds, Penedesenca being from Penedes and Empordanesa being from Emporda, are two regions of the autonomous community of Catalonia in Spain on the French border near Andorra.
Penedesencas and Empordanesas are the only breeds with white earlobes and lay a brown egg. They are also the only breeds with a carnation comb (also called a clavel and kings comb)
They are ancient breeds and were still a hodgepodge of colors as late as 1900 with black and partridge being prominent. The first known documented writing about the breed was in 1920 when efforts were made to conserve and standardize them. There were quite a few farms that raised them but fell out of favor when interest turned to new foreign breeds.
By 1980 they were nearly extinct. At that time, veterinarian Antonio Jordá visiting area farms and farmers' markets, made a collection of fertile eggs and adult specimens until he gathered a population of about 300 hens from which Dr. Amadeus Francesch standardized into the 4 Penedesenca varieties today of Black, Crele, Partridge and Wheaten.
The Black is the DP variety being about a pound or two heavier than the other three, which are egg varieties.
The black was long renown for the flavor of its meat. There is now an annual festival in Villafranca, Catalonia called Fira del Gall (Fair of the Rooster) and the Black Penedesenca is the star of the show. It is a foodie and wine affair. Penedes is the oldest wine region of Europe.
The festival dates back to medieval times but was declining in popularity till 1984 when it was reborn with the reemergence of the Black Penedesenca.
The fair is held the last weekend before Christmas and people come from far and wide to buy the bird for their Christmas dinner - a Black Penedesenca rooster. In 2014 the fair celebrated the 20th anniversary of bringing the bird back from the brink of extinction.
Sadly, Dr. Amadeu Francesch Vidal died last summer. He was very helpful trying to get the birds distributed around the world.
In Spain, the black variety has been toyed with to make it a larger meat bird. In the process, it lost the dark egg and the white lobes. So now there is the 'improved' and the classic black. The classic is the only one in the US and the variety I raise.
I'd love some hatching eggs! The blacks are impossible to find in the states, and the few breeders that have them, aren't selling any eggs or chicks right now, or are out for the 2024 year already. Can you please email me at [email protected]
I'm not on here often enough to check for replies. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom