Black Roundhead and ? or possibly pure, help me, please.

GingerRose

Free Ranging
Apr 1, 2022
Alpine, Alabama
VideoCapture_20220806-160834.jpg

Okay. I wanted this rooster (really) bad. The old man who had him, was a friend of my daddy's. This rooster was NOT FOR SALE, period. I worked on this old man for months. He is from my daddy's favorite (original) game cock from the 70s, which was a pure Black Roundhead.
He did breed, raise, condition, fight and retire these Black Roundheads cocks, he loved so much.
I have no reason to doubt this rooster is from my daddys stock. Several of the other old friends, of my daddy, have confirmed it. I just don't think he is pure. The photos I have of my daddy's pure Black Roundheads, had no other color, just black and very shiny. He had some mixed with pure Asil that looks similar to this rooster. (from photos)
He didn't have a name when I got him. My husband named him Chester... it should have been Mike Tyson, for real.

So, I have a few questions for the experts...

1.) what do yall think his breed and/or mix is?
2.) Does he look like I am taking good care of him?
*which is very, very important to me.
3.) Should I place my pure Black Roundhead hen with him?
4.) Should I just let him be?
5.) Why is he so %*#!)* aggressive?

I did buy him knowing of his bad attitude. I can't touch him. I have to do all of his coop maintenance at night, when he is locked up in the "house" we made for him (he never had one). It's pretty bad, but I don't care. I love this rooster, on several different levels.
I would love to raise some chicks from him to keep.
I am sort of worried he may hurt my Morrighan (hen). I can't let that happen, same story with her. She is from my daddy's stock.
Yall, please help me out, if yall can.
I put a photo of Morrighan in here too.
VideoCapture_20220806-160217.jpg
20220411_123455(2).jpg

Attachments

• VideoCapture_20220806-160112.jpg
    VideoCapture_20220806-160112.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 30
Last edited:
I did ask "why is he so aggressive"?
My main curiosity is more of "what is he, breed wise or mutt wise".. (I have one comment on that)
If he looks healthy
Should I keep Morrighan away from him

I am 51 year old woman who grew up on a game yard and farm. I have good and bad memories of that childhood.
It's okay if I want a little sentimental piece of that memory.. We have a small farm of our own and I have several separate flocks of non-game chickens, ducks and peafowl...
I am always aware of any aggressive animal, be it mammal or fowl.
I don't discard an animal because of what could possibly be a humans error in raising that animal...
Hell, if that were the case in all situations, I would have been discarded a long time ago... LoL.

That is also good, helpful information. I do not know a great deal about game fowl. I have not researched at all. I have no desire to breed and sell *what so ever*.
I only wanted to keep a small piece of the man I remember loving his roosters.
If that's the case, I don't want to breed him at all.
My husband compared game cock to the true pit dogs. He has always told me the 2 most GAME animals on the planet are game roosters and American Pitt Bull Terriers, and the 2 compare very similar. He said a true "game" dog is not human aggressive and he said for no reason a rooster should be either.
Either way, I can't discard, cull or whatever this rooster. Not because of the money, because, that's my nature.
Thank you all for commenting and helping me.
I appreciate it.
...and I will just let this dude be, and live a safe life...at a distance.. LoL.

View attachment 3213801
Okay. I wanted this rooster (really) bad. The old man who had him, was a friend of my daddy's. This rooster was NOT FOR SALE, period. I worked on this old man for months. He is from my daddy's favorite (original) game cock from the 70s, which was a pure Black Roundhead.
He did breed, raise, condition, fight and retire these Black Roundheads cocks, he loved so much.
I have no reason to doubt this rooster is from my daddys stock. Several of the other old friends, of my daddy, have confirmed it. I just don't think he is pure. The photos I have of my daddy's pure Black Roundheads, had no other color, just black and very shiny. He had some mixed with pure Asil that looks similar to this rooster. (from photos)
He didn't have a name when I got him. My husband named him Chester... it should have been Mike Tyson, for real.

I did buy him knowing of his bad attitude. I can't touch him. I have to do all of his coop maintenance at night, when he is locked up in the "house" we made for him (he never had one). It's pretty bad, but I don't care. I love this rooster, on several different levels.
I am sort of worried he may hurt my Morrighan (hen). I can't let that happen, same story with her. She is from my daddy's stock.
I put a photo of Morrighan in here too.View attachment 3213825View attachment 3213828
Your Cock looks like my old Roundhead x Coal Miners Mug Cock I had yrs ago.

View attachment 3213801

I put a photo of Morrighan in here too.View attachment 3213825View attachment 3213828
The only black colored birds I was told about by the old timers was a family they referred as chocolate blood line that many would introduce to the Allen or Johnson family to speed them up! Still very good looking birds , if you raise chicks and handle them properly as they grow they will be big gentle birds- until they get to close to another rooster

Back
Top Bottom