Black shoulder genetic !

Frank,
Thankyou, but the peahen may be a spalding peahen in front of IB ? peacock.

Japanned peahen plumage still unknown.

I will drawing when I feel like, but not tonight and for few next weeks as I'm outdoor often.

These green peafowls still poorly known, with no good photoes yet of these birds below

Pavo annamensis xishuangbannaensis
p. spicifer yangonensis
p. spicifer arakansis
p. spicifer tanintharyi
p. muticus malacensi
p. antiqus deqensis

Clinton.

That's the point, Clinton. They do have Green Peafowl genes so that's why the female looks like a spaulding. The fact that some female Singhalensis also look a little like hybrids also adds to this appearance. Singhalensis females have more intense green on their neck and facial skin that almost approaches spaulding.

Yes those ones we need to investigate more on. Deqenisis is found in the Kachin State of Burma as well as Yunnan. It is darker than most Green Peafowl including the nominate antiqus.

I already posted some photographs of Xishuangbannaensis on the other thread, these are a bit like Bokorensis but less iridescent and more coppery gold plumage. The crest is sheathed. like a christmas tree sort of shape "^" Tanitharyi also has this sort of crest.

Problem is the singhalensis peahens, Japanned peahens, Spalding peahens will look same if you keep them together and think "How I tell a Japanned peahen from a Spalding peahen ??" or visa.

Only sure way is the photoes of singhalensis, Japanned, Spalding peahens and peacocks together, will help slove the problem, woth label of where they were photoed.

I suggest you put the photoes of Japanned, Spalding, singhalensis peahens together and look to see whether they look same or different slightly.

There is no yellow colour on pale skin around eyes in the Japanned peacock, unlike Spalding peacock that have yellow colour on skin behind eyes.

Japanned peafowls may be a domesticed form of singhalensis peafowl, instead of hybrid between green peafowls and singhalensis peafowls...note lack of yellow skin.

Last edited:
the yellow skin is because Japanned Peafowl have been backcrossed to Singhalensis that the yellow skin is lost. The way the male's wings have that much blue is unlike any blacks shoulder.

There are some spauldings out there that lack yellow skin but have other telltale signs. Japanned Peafowl is no exception - some males have more extensive facial skin that's approaching Green Peafowl but it's not yellow skin.

Found wild in Kuroshima Island, Okinawa:

Unlike singhalensis, where the fan-crest droops backwards, the crest seems to be more upright and not well "defined".

Compare with Singhalensis:

I'll update this post once I find more pics

Ok, but problem is I do not know the correct colour of backplate of Japanned peacock.
Singhalensis peacock had greenish gold backplate and no skyblue colour in train.
Spalding peacock had yellowish green (more green than Singhalensis) and have blue-green neck (Japanned peacock have blue neck).

Question: What which green colour the Japanned peacock's backplate ???
green ??? yellowish green ??? greenish yellow ??? gold ???

Worse problem is we do not know which is which the green peafowls had been used by Japanese breeder, to hybridize with Singhalensis peafowls, before backcrossed the Singhalensis, with 1st gene Japanned peafowls, to creat today's Japanned peafowls.

Once I get correct colour of Japanned peacock's backplate, I will make an illustration of Japanned peacock, when in flight, it will look like Spalding peacock, but with blue neck and all blue wing coverts, with scattered barred feathers on lesser wing coverts.

Pavo cristatus cristatus X pavo muticus muticus (Spalding)

Pavo cristatus singhalensis

the wings of your spaulding peafowl look almost exactly as Japanned Peafowl, but the head is like that of singhalensis and the barred parts of the wings need to be whiter and more like singhalensis. Just add some more "iridescence" to the secondaries and orange to the primaries.

not sure about the backplate actually. From that picture of the male displaying it looks like it's yellow but from the male flying it looks like it's green. It's quite unreliable to use pictures due to the iridescence effect.

Talk to Resolution about Japanned peacock backplate colour, because of hybridizing with green peafowls and I do not know which is which the races / subspecies of green peafowls were used by Japanese breeder for creating the Japanned peafowls.

Backplates of 18 races of green peafowls, can be cobalt blue, green, pink, olive, skyblue, darker green.

If pavo muticus malacensi (pink backplate) were to hybridized with Singhalensis, =the Japanned peacock would have orange or pink backplate.

If pavo annamensis bokorensis (skyblue backplate) were to hybridized with Singhalensis,=the Japanned peacock would have blue-green or blue backplate.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom